VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hiya

I am doing a video that a freind gave me and it would seem to be in 720 x 576 (1.067)
    It was shot in widescreen mode but whenever i put it to a dvd. the picture has black bars all round the picture and not filling the screen

I have read (Maybe incorrectly) that to fill the screen it needs to be 1.422 ?? If that makes sense

A: How did it happen in the first place
    B: How can i change it to fill the screen

Many thanks

Paul
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Best guess is that the DVD was authored as 4:3 and it needs to be 16:9. Some authoring programs will default to 4:3 unless told otherwise and others may only output 4:3. It is possible to change the flag from 4:3 to 16:9 prior to burning with something like IFOEdit. A guide on how to change aspect ratio in IFOEdit (do a web search for this) would tell you how to do this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    doing a "video" is kinda vague. could you be more specific as to the source please. is it possibly a pal miniDV(DVavi)?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am definately rendering in 16:9

The image that is rendered is a widescreen formate, it just does not fit the screen either top bottom or sodes, there is a black bar all round

This is the file i am dealing with top left

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lots of cameras record in DVavi widescreen 720x480/576. it's a pixel format you need to set in the source project settings and then just treat it as a normal widescreen output. in your case 720x576 for dvd.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Your source may be 4:3 DAR with a 16:9 image letterboxed inside of it. When you convert that to a 16:9 video it centers the 4:3 frame inside a 16:9 DAR frame and pillarboxes. The result is black bars all around.

Or, your source is 16:9 DAR with a movie that is even wider so it has letterbox bars top and bottom. The editor is importing it as 4:3 and adding pillarbox bars to make 16:9 DAR. Right click on the source and set the input DAR to 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am right clicking but seeing no option for that ?

What exactly am i looking for ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We can't tell your project settings from that picture. If you are getting letterbox on the timeline either you haven't set a 720x576 "Wide" DV project setting or your source file is flagged 4:3 (i.e. letterbox).

PS: You set project under "File" "New"
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote