VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see lots of advice on forums about how to convert VR mode to DVD-VIDEO but I want to create VR mode on a PC.

I'm editing home video on the PC and want to 'upload' the results to the hard drive in a Sony RDR-HXD970 so my family can view my efforts without swapping discs. The Sony seems (from my experiments) to only support a dubbing-list upload from +VR and -VR mode discs (otherwise you can only dub one title at a time). Also it seems to only offer high-speed dubbing from -VR.

I am using TMPGEnc to create mpg files and (currently) using NeroVision Express to create DVDs. This will create -VR mode but there seem to be shortcomings; namely a) No more than 99 chapters per disc (I am keeping each 'clip' from the camcorder as a chapter, where the clips are around 1 minute long on average), b) lots of re-coding of already DVD-compliant video, and c) some audio format problem (the Sony complains about an audio format problem when attempting to high-speed dub the disc to it's HDD).

Can anyone recommend an alternative (cheap/free) DVD authoring package that will write -VR mode without any/all of the above shortcomings? One Nero feature I would still need is the ability to combine multiple mpg clip files into a title, automatically creating chapter marks at the boundaries. Also, any idea what the audio format problem might be?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the 99 chapter limitation is built into the dvd spec. I'm pretty sure that would be consistent with any authoring package.

Now that is per title. I suppose you'd be able to make multiple titles on a disc with the 99 limit on each title so you'd have more flexibility. As far as how to do that I can't answer since I don't do any discs of that complexity.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by perf12741
    I see lots of advice on forums about how to convert VR mode to DVD-VIDEO but I want to create VR mode on a PC.

I'm editing home video on the PC and want to 'upload' the results to the hard drive in a Sony RDR-HXD970 so my family can view my efforts without swapping discs. The Sony seems (from my experiments) to only support a dubbing-list upload from +VR and -VR mode discs (otherwise you can only dub one title at a time). Also it seems to only offer high-speed dubbing from -VR.
    . . .
    Can anyone recommend an alternative (cheap/free) DVD authoring package that will write -VR mode without any/all of the above shortcomings? One Nero feature I would still need is the ability to combine multiple mpg clip files into a title, automatically creating chapter marks at the boundaries. Also, any idea what the audio format problem might be?
    Recommend ? Not specifically, but
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Cyberlink_PowerProducer
    has a working mode that sounds to me like it must be VR, albeit under a different name. (But I haven't tried this program yet.) Whether it is a VR that would be compatible with the VR used by standalone DVDRs, I also couldn't say. (They may have their own forum, somewhere . . . ?) I've seen Cyberlink CDs that have several of their programs on it -- including PP -- being sold for no more than $30.

In any case, I'm confident there must be some program around that does what you want.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote