VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I have this MVB file.

Supposedly its some sort of video file, After a little research alot of people apparently think its for real player... which it is not. Or at least I could not open it with real player, real player alternative, or windows media player classic w/ the k-lite mega codec pack installed.

So I did some more research and found something called Microsoft Multimedia Viewer.... Which is something from the windows 95/98 era. That also Supposedly can open these files. I got a error saying this is not a Viewer Title.

So here I am, Is Anyone familiar with this type of file ?

I looked up the extension and found that its also used for a Unknown Database ? and Also Something about Manual Storage Format
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Offhand, no, I'm not familiar with .mvb files. It could be something else renamed to have the extension .mvb, though. You might try running it through a utility like GSpot or MediaInfo and see what they say about the file. Players that use their own 'internal' codecs, like VLC or mplayer, may be able to play the file. Maybe.

The 'Real Player' format the others you mentioned are thinking about uses the extension .rmvb, not .mvb.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Gspot doesn't do well with .rmvb files, but you could try MediaInfo. It's likely you have a .rmvb as .mvb is a old format and not likely to be around these days. If they managed to misname it, they may have messed it up in other ways. RM (Real Media) files are highly proprietary and not a lot of programs can work with or play them.

Usually with bad RM files, I give it one try, then delete them as they are often not worth the effort. JMO.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I actually have a bunch of .mvb files that I'm in desperate need of. I've been looking around too and the mviewer2.exe file that they're supposed to run on doesn't function properly on vista 64bit though it seems to work fine on the x32.

I've tried VLC and all that good stuff...but it doesn't work anywhere...all the sites i can find referencing .mvbs are straight from the 1990's and early 2000's
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I realize this thread is six months old, but as the problem was never resolved, and I found the answer, I figure some other poor soul may eventually stumble here, as I did.

I found the viewer on Packard Bell's Italian site:

http://support.packardbell.com/it/item/index.php?i=REFFIUP01710100&pi=platform_B3H

Download the ZIP version, and just run the executable inside. You do NOT need to install it. The self-extracting .exe version didn't work for me in XP. If you have Vista 64, you're completely out of luck, as it's a 16-bit app.
    Quote Quote