VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When my authoring with GFD exceeds 4.7G dvd disc capacity (with a red bar at the bottom showing I am over the limit) & when I select "Auto calculate shrink" I always get the message "No shrinkable video". Due to this I get the output from GFD and then shrink it again to 4.7G using DVDShrink. Any workarounds? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Any workarounds? Thanks.
    Yep. Use a bitrate calculator to caluculate the correct bitrate needed to fill your dvd. Then encode your mpeg with that bitrate.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do it right in the first place and you don't have these problems.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    meaning dont start with more titles than the disc capacity? This is what I am doing currently when I want to add say two titles which add upto around 5GB. A two step process - first reauthor & shrink them using dvdshrink (with the single VOB per title option) and then reauthor again using GFD to add the graphical title menu. It does work well for me, just that it would been nice to do this in one step.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    GFD is an authoring tool, so you can either re-encode your video before you author, or author, then re-encode.

If you are doing the original encoding to mpeg-2 then you should make sure it fits at that stage. If you are taking material encoded elsewhere then you either follow the options I started with, or use a different tool that can re-encode as well as author
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pannayar
    When my authoring with GFD exceeds 4.7G dvd disc capacity (with a red bar at the bottom showing I am over the limit) & when I select "Auto calculate shrink" I always get the message "No shrinkable video". Due to this I get the output from GFD and then shrink it again to 4.7G using DVDShrink. Any workarounds? Thanks.
    GfD uses "requant" to shrink m2v files when necessary.
    See the help under "Notes to shrinking (requant)".

You can use it manually: on the loading file window, in the "Videofile" section there is a checkbox:
    "Use Requant to shrink" and then "New Video Size" (in MB) or "Factor" (in %).

Note that it only works with plain video, (eg, m2v) not including audio (eg, mpeg). Maybe that's your problem.
    If so, demux and author with separate video and audio and GfD should be able to shrink the video to order.

Or you can use ReJig, which is actually based on the same code as requant.

Pretty fast and gives good results, at least when just shaving a few percent off.
    Quote Quote