VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    I am having very annoying downloading problem on my XP OS. I have a 2mbit connection, when i download files from websites that allows download accelerators with multiple connections and resume support, downloading speed is normal i.e. above 200 KB/s but when i download files from sites that don't allow resume support and limit you to one connection only, my download speeds gets capped at 30 KB/s no matter if i use download manager or not. First i thought, that the website i am downloading from maybe slow but this is not the case because i have tried more then 10 websites and its the same. When i go to my Windows Vista OS on the same computer and download the same file, it gives me normal download speed so i believe it has something to do with XP settings.
    What i have already done :
    1. Run full System scan for viruses with Kaspersky 7 with latest definition files - No Viruses Found.
    2. Full antispyware scan with Spybot - No Spyware.
    3. I use Windows Firewall (Tried disabling it and no help)
    4. Tried un-installing Antivirus but still the same problem.
    I am lost and this is very annoying, someone please help me solve this.
    Thanks a lot,
    Sohaib
    Quote Quote  
  2. In control panel uninstall your network card or port and re boot.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by victoriabears
    In control panel uninstall your network card or port and re boot.
    You mean in Device Manager?
    Will try that, thanks for the input.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Uninstalled the drivers, rebooted and installed the latest Gigabit drivers that i just downloaded but the same problem. I am becoming desperate now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh blimey !

It could be the actual network card, like everything else they do go wrong.

Swap the network cable to the cable modem?

Try another cable modem, call your ISP troubleshoot, they have all sorts of fancy ways of checking your connection.

In the network card properties make sure the box "power management" is not checked.

Under control panel / network connections, try disable then enable, uninstall the whole lot and reinstall.

Why have you got dual-boot with vista?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there aren't really many ways to limit the connection speed in winXP, unless you have installed an application that does it. try a different browser like firefox and see if it still happens. try going to this site and checking your connection to the nearest server.
    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    the new york one always maxes out my cable connect.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by victoriabears
    Oh blimey !

It could be the actual network card, like everything else they do go wrong.

Swap the network cable to the cable modem?

Try another cable modem, call your ISP troubleshoot, they have all sorts of fancy ways of checking your connection.

In the network card properties make sure the box "power management" is not checked.

Under control panel / network connections, try disable then enable, uninstall the whole lot and reinstall.

Why have you got dual-boot with vista?
    If it would be network card, then why the downloading is normal in vista?

i do have another modem, will try that to check if it helps.

power management is not checked.

i have already unistalled the whole driver and installed the updated ones with no help.

i am forced to use xp with vista because some of my older games don't work very well with vista.
    ===========
    @aedipuss
    i had used TweakNow 2006 in the past, don't know if it messed up some of the settings, but i recently used WinSock fix, i thought it may reset all the settings to windows default but still the same problem
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Variations in download speed are often due to download source limitations. For example, I recently downloaded 4 updates for Nero with speed varying from 38 KB to 153 KB and some speeds in between. There's nothing that can to done to improve download speeds if the cause is from the source of the download which it may well be.
    Quote Quote