VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guyes,
    I m using nero 7 esssential (It's came with DVD RW drive when I bought).

1) I've copied 3 movies with all necessary files (.VOB, .IFO, .BUP) from a DVD Disc. The total size 5.64 GB.

But I want to write in a DVD-R/DVD+R (4.7 GB) using nero. How can I compress the files so I can burn in 4.7 GB?
    Is it possible with nero 7 or I need to use extra soft? please advice...

2) If I copied only the .VOB files & write in a new disk manually with nero, then the embaded subtitles are lost. But I want to keep it. How can I keep the subtitles?

Any one please advice...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use Nero Recode (essentially DVD Shrink in a new dress) to make it fit, then use Nero to burn. If you don't have Recode, use DVD Shrink (or better yet, DVD Rebuilder) to do all the work, then burn.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok Guns1inger, thanks for reply...
    I'll try & inform later...
    Actually I m really new in this topics, so need to know many info...

Another thing is that: After play DVD movie, we get a link page (in .VOB format). How can I make/Edit this image as per my requirements & make links also to movie (play/chapters...etc) with my .VOB files? Is it possible with DVD rebuilder?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The process you are talking about is called authoring. It is easier to use VOB2MPG to extract the video/audio stream from the VOBs, then author a new disc with something like GUIForDVDAuthor (free) or Tmpgenc DVD Author (not free), that to try and add menus to an existing VOB set. Tmpgenc can probably import the VOBs directly.

DVD Rebuilder is only for re-encoding a movie to make it smaller.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Guns,
    Many thans to you for replying...
    I downloaded "DVD-RBv0982", install it. Here is the total description of my tasks:

I just copy & paste these DVD files in a separate folder in hard drive named "Test1" - VIDEO_TS.BUP/VIDEO_TS.IFO/VTS_02_0.BUP/VTS_02_0.IFO/VTS_02_1.VOB/VTS_02_2.VOB.

Totaly 1 Movie with all the necessary files from disk - 1.17 GB. I want to compress this files for testing purpose.
    But I am getting these 3 errors & I cant understood. please see the error .doc file.

dvd_erroe.doc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first one is telling you that you don't need to compress the files because they already fit on a single layer disc. DVD-RB, DVD Shrink and Nero Recode are all designed to shrink a DVD9 down to DVD5 size.

The second one is telling you that your DVD is incorrectly structured. Your original DVD should have had a folder called Video_TS, which has all the files for the DVD in it. This is what you should have either copied (for a non-protected disc) or ripped (for a protected disc) to your HDD, and is what you should have pointed DVD-RB at.

I haven't seen the third error before, but would guess that it is probably related to the second one.

If you want to test these programs, rip a full commercial disc and let them work the way they were designed.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guns1,
    I've installed DVDShrink 3.2. I've a DVD disc with 4 movies & total size 7.81GB. But I need 3 movies from that disc & write in 1 DVD-R disk 4.37GB. So, I've tried to reduce the total disk with DVD shrink (100% ratio, autometic).

But, It reduced to 6.51 GB as back up. So, I delete 1 movie which I dont need. Finally it contains 4.68 GB.
    But I need lower then 4.37GB, how can I manage this? So, that I can write in my disc?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guns1,
    No solution???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because of the way DVD Shrink reduces the size, it has limits. You can run the files through Shrink a second time, however the reduction you are looking for is going to produce low quality.

DVD Rebuilder is by far the best solution for what you are trying to do. However if your computer specs are correct, expect it to run all night.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ya, I tried a movie with rebuilder, but it took few hours just with 1 movie, so i just reject it.
    DVD shrink is much better & time saving with limitation. but, I can't reach my target!!! I'll try 2nd time & let u know...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you use Shrink, make sure you also use Deep Analysis and turn on AEC as well. The quality is going to be low, but this will help some.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote