VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

Sometime ago I read a thread where someone had a method of manually altering the bit (or flag?) so that the recording was played back using the correct aspect ratio. I cant seem to find the thread. Doe anyone know which one I'm referring to?

The method involved copying an HDD recording to DVD-RW, copying the files from the DVD-RW to a PC, editing the AR info then finally copying it to a DVD-R.

Ive been having trouble where the aspect ratio info of a recording is incorrectly set. The above thread I referred would to seem to address this issue. I have a widescreen Sony TV and a Pioneer DVR-545HX set for widescreen. Ive found that when I optimise an HDD recording to DVD-R (i.e to fit a 2hr+ SP recording onto a single disc) it doesn't playback at widescreen. No matter which method I try the images look squashed or stretched. (I use a DVI input so the choices are limited). Note if I copy from HDD to DVD-R at high speed (so its at the same recording rate) then the AR isnt altered.

Thanks for any info.

B R
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Patcher and IFOAR2WS will fix the problem, if it can be fixed.

However you may have a different problem to just an incorrect flag. All DVD Recorders eventually start reducing resolutions to compensate for lower bitrates at longer running times. The first step down is usually half-D1.

DVD only allows for 16:9 at full-D1 resolution, so if you recorder steps down resolution after two hours, then technically you cannot make it 16:9.

That said, you may be able to fake it by using DVD Patcher and patching the header for the entire file to be 16:9 at full D1. Some players will trust the header, some won't. There is no way to know which is which until you test it.

You can quickly confirm the resolution using g-spot or mediainfo on any VOB on the disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote