VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an 8GB .mkv movie file and I want to convert it to dvd but I don't want it to shrink down to 1 dvd. I'd rather have it on 2 DVD's if that will give it better quality. I know that during conversion you will lose quality, but is there a way I can lose less quality by somehow having the output on 2 DVD's?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try FAVC and you should be able to output it as two DVDs. Or ConvertXToDVD for a payware solution. It will likely be higher quaility than using one DVD, but a lot depends on the running time of file and the bitrate you end up with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can think of three options

1. Create your own avisynth scripts that use the Trim statement to split the file into two parts, then encode each script with FAVC.

2. Encode to DVD9 with FAVC, then burn with Imgburn to Verbatim +R DL discs

3. Encode to DVD9 with FAVC, then use something like DVD Remake Pro, DVDFab Platinum or VOBBlanker to split the disc into two DVD5s.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You could try FAVC and you should be able to output it as two DVDs
    I opened the 8GB file in FAVC but it doesn't show anything about 2 DVD's. What is supposed to happen? Is it suppose to output to two folders or what?

Or ConvertXToDVD for a payware solution
    I have this program also, and I also loaded the mkv file into it, but it doesn't show anywhere that the output is on 2 DVD's, nor can I find any settings on that sort of thing.

1. Create your own avisynth scripts that use the Trim statement to split the file into two parts, then encode each script with FAVC.
    What do you mean encode each script with FAVC? And is it hard to create your own script?

btw I don't have a dual layer burner that's why I want to get 2 dvd5's
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Neither FAVC or ConvertXtoDVD will create two DVD5s from a single source file. I don't know of any program that will automate this for you.

In fact you don't even have to write a script. Load your file into FAVC and set up your encode as normal. Before you start the process, click on the Advanced Scripting tab. In the box marked Before Framerate Conversion enter

Code:
    Trim(0,nnnn)
    Where nnnn is set to the number of the last frame you want encoded for the first disc. FAVC will encode the mkv file up to that point as disc 1.

Don't close the FAVC while it encodes.

When it completes, change the Trim statement to

Code:
    Trim(nnnn+1,0)
    And start the process off to create disc 2.

You can open your mkv file in AVI Demux to work out the frame number of your split point.

Caveat : I have not tried this personally, but I cannot see why it would not work. You lose nothing but time by testing it out.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks a lot, I will try that and let you know how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would just encode as a DVD 9 then use DVDShrink in reauthor mode to cut (trim) it into 2 pieces.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Another option would be to use mkvmergegui, use the "split" function to split into 2 mkv's, then process 2x DVD5 from 2 .mkv by your regular method
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Another option would be to use mkvmergegui, use the "split" function to split into 2 mkv's, then process 2x DVD5 from 2 .mkv by your regular method
    That's what I'd do, works a treat.....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote