VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible?

Background:

It is the same single disc with both DVD-Video and DVD-ROM parts.

The video on the disc can be played as DVD-Video on at least any basic cheap consumer DVD video player (and also DVD playing software on a PC).

The DVD-ROM data part can be accessed when the disc is read from a PC DVD drive.

Applications for this include, notes e.g. dialog transcripts in text form of a film, etc.

It is similar to CD-Extra - where the Audio part of the CD can be played on any consumer basic CD audio player or PC CD drive. The data part of the CD-Extra can be accessed when the disc is read from a PC CD/DVD drive.

It is certainly possible to create/burn CD-Extra discs using ordinary CD-Rs on programs like Nero. I think this is done by burning a multisession disc which is finalised. The first session is the audio and the 2nd is the data.

I'm assuming the same multisession approach would apply with creating/burning a hybrid DVD-Video/DVD-ROM disc using an ordinary DVD-R or DVD+R. However, such hybrid format appears not to be explicity defined as an option - unlike CD-Extra. Searching tools that provide this capability on the interent has not provided me with much indication as to what software can do this. Also, Nero 8 is not explicit about the format in the way it is about the similar multi session format for CD CD-Extra.

That's not to say it is not possible. Can you advise?

Here's what I think needs to be done:

Burn video in a DVD-Video but do not finalize. I'm assuming the book type at this point will be permanently set as DVD-Video so that consumer recorders will not reject it. The video would be recorded in the first session. Then add the data files and finalise - these would be added in the 2nd session. PC drives and driver software should recognise the disc as multi-session and be able to display files from both sessions in Explorer or equivalent on Macs or linux PCs.

I would also assume that a DVD player software such as power DVD should still detect the disc as DVD-Video and play it as normal, even though the PC can provide more information about the disc - i.e that it is multi-session etc - than for a normal DVD-Video. In other words I would hope that Power DVD would ignore the 2nd session as data and not get confused.

To make the disc in this way, one would not be able to use a burning tools standard video options. The video to be burn would have to be converted to DVD format VOB files etc. outside of the tool, using another tool e.g. eRightsofts free SUPER and imported in. Tools such as Nero allow import of VOB files.

Thoughts anyone?

I have tried searching the forums here and authoring guides but not found anything. This is hindered by google treating keyboards such as "both" as in "both DVD-Video and DVD-ROM" as a basic ordinary word too common for inclusion in the search. Plus there are many synonyms for describing what is meant by a hybrid DVD-ROM, DVD-Video disc.

I have seen a DVD-ROM, DVD-Video hybrid disc as a magazine cover so I think it can be done. Just, which tools to do it?

I hope that people aren't confused by me saying 'hybrid'. I'm using it to refer to the fact that an ordinary single layer single sided DVD disc contains both DVD-Video and DVD-ROM on the same side on the same disc. I'm not refering to anything else that the term might imply.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Pretty easy. I do this type of disc often with IMGBurn.

1. In the BUILD mode, just add the VIDEO_TS folder for your movie and a DVD-ROM folder with the other content. (These days an AUDIO_TS folder is optional, but I still always add one.)

2. Burn your disc.

If you want to duplicate this disc and make sure all content is included, make an ISO image from the disc you just burned. This will insure all folders remain when burning multiple DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have done this many times. The only important thing is that the AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS folder should on the first part of the DVD+-R/RW as I found that some stand alone DVD-player appear to have problems to access the DVD-video if there is data burnt on the disc ahead of the DVD-video. I usually name a folder e.g. "X_data" so that Nero first burns the AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS folders and the "X_data" folder last.

Schmendrick
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you everyone
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RowMan
    Pretty easy. I do this type of disc often with IMGBurn.

1. In the BUILD mode, just add the VIDEO_TS folder for your movie and a DVD-ROM folder with the other content. (These days an AUDIO_TS folder is optional, but I still always add one.)

2. Burn your disc.

If you want to duplicate this disc and make sure all content is included, make an ISO image from the disc you just burned. This will insure all folders remain when burning multiple DVDs.
    ImgBurn adds an AUDIO_TS folder on it's own.
    Quote Quote