VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a simple xvid vid and I am trying to burn it on to a dvd as data so I can watch it on my tv, but for some reason after I burn it and try to watch it the movie freezes up in different sections. Why, it plays perfectly on pc before I burn it, and I have made hundreds of discs like this before. I have tried different speeds and dvds and same problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try a divx/xvid repair tool like DivFixPP. If it wont help I would reconvert the video using avirecomp.
    Quote Quote  
  3. When I use DivFix and select the error check it comes up with no errors, but when I go to fix it at the end it says "AVI header size is false? Found 115".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Standalone DivX/Xvid-capable DVD players are a lot more picky about the .avi/.divx files they can play, than a PC. There's probably something about the way the file is encoded that your DVD player doesn't like. (Of course, we're also not ruling out cheap DVD media, just yet.)

Run the problem AVI into a utility like GSpot or MediaInfo and post the information here (in the case of GSpot, a screenshot). Blank out the path and filename information, if you prefer.
    That way, we might be able to see if there's something about the encoding your player may not like.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Here you go, but the thing about it is even when the avi is burnt to a dvd just as data and I put the dvd in my pc it will not play. It does the same as when it is put in my dvd player, it just freezes up.

Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you mean divfix++? Just divfix hasn't been updated for years.

And post a screenshot from latest gspot 2.70. It gives much more information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    interesting
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    capman21, your version of Gspot is quite outdated.
    Still, it indicates VBR audio --- not recommended,
    even if your standalone player supports the damn feature
    As Baldrick said, please upgrade to Gspot v.2.70.
    And be more careful next time --- p0rn posts are not allowed @ VideoHelp.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Here is the updated version. It is just weird as how it will not play when it is burnt to a dvd in the dvd or my pc. Even virtualdub comes up with errors when trying to open the files on the burnt dvd.

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That "AVID" sign in your "Video" section indicates that the AVI structure may be screwing up your player. According to Gspot's popup, AVID "Indicates presence of AVI"[D]" (dup or dropped) frames: zero length AVI chunks that instruct the player to "repeat previous frame""

I've never seen that problem before, but AvimuxGUI has often fixed other AVI structure problems for me. If you haven't used it before, open Avimux GUI, then open an Explorer window, go to the "Profiles" subfolder of your Avimux installation, and drag the "Profile - Standalone AVI - MP3.amg" file into the "open files (add files via drag & drop)" window of Avimux Gui.

Then just drag your avi file into that "open files" window, click on it, then click on "generate data source from files" just below the "open files" window, then click on "start". It'll only take a few seconds as no re-encoding is involved.
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's likely the audio and video streams are badly muxed (maybe caused by the D frames?). A hard drive can seek very quickly so if the player has to seek back and forth within the AVI to access audio and video chunks it's no problem. But CD/DVD players seek very slowly. Playback will be very jerky if the corresponding chunks aren't right next to each other.

Remuxing with VirtualDub might fix the problem:

File -> Open Video File
    Video -> Direct Stream Copy
    File -> Save as AVI

Be sure to use a recent version of VirtualDub that doesn't have problems with VBR audio. Burn the result onto DVD.
    Quote Quote