VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i've been trying to convert a lot of HD MP4 (h264) videos into MP4 (h264) but at a lower bitrate. I'm streaming wirelessly to my xbox 360 and anything higher than 3500 kbps seems to keep causing the stream to pause and need to buffer to catch up. I have Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles in HD at about 3560 kbps and they look good, have a nice size to length ratio (1GB for a 40min episode) and stream perfectly to my 360. Some other videos that I have are at 5000 kbps and they all pause and buffer.

So here's my problem. ANY program that I use. Staxrip, Handbrake, SUPER, Xvid4PSP, MeGUI and AviSynth. All of them crash or just return "error" within one second of clicking encode. I have no idea what the problem is. I currently use GotSent MKV extractor to pull the video and audio streams into the MP4 files so that it's watchable on my 360. I have no problems with that. But I get problems with all the programs I mentioned above whenever using the MP4s or the MKVs as a source.

Any help or suggestions
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Likely an unstable overclock (if your details are correct). What are your temps running? Do you have an aftermarket HSF? Is case airflow good? Try knocking it back to stock settings for now

You could also try to uninstall/reinstall the above programs
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Funny you should say that, I downloaded RipBot264 and started using it. It works great I must say. Half way through my first encode though I got a blue screen but that was ONLY once I fired up Firefox and tried to surf. Got me thinking.

First of all, yes I do have an OC. 2.8GHz dual core up to 3.4GHz. 800Mhz DDR2 memory up to 940Mhz, etc. I have a HUGE zelman copper fin cooler on my cpu and a few extra fans strategically placed in the case. So yes to the cooling and air flow. I'm using Everest to monitor all of the clock speeds, temps, voltages, etc. I noticed my cpu was getting up to 70 degrees celcius!! Not good. Right now I have a small desk fan blowing into the case and my temps are down to 50 degrees celcius and 100% usage. Only reason why I haven't inspected the computer in more detail is because I'm in the middle of a 20hr encoding process. But I suspect I have A LOT of dust clogging up my main fan (my place is always REALLY dusty no matter what I do, plus two cats do not help either). So I may have solved my problem but one thing still doesn't make sense.

RipBot264 worked fine until I over taxed the system with more work, but none of the other programs even worked for more than a split second. Actually they all returned an error almost the minute I clicked encode. So that still doesn't make sense.

But thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Since you brought your temps down, it's likely bad memory.

Drop your memory OC, or up the Vdimm, run memtest64+

BSOD is usually memory related in my experience.

I would actually run prime95 or OCCT to farther test your CPU stability

Eitherway your system is unstable, and I would reset everything to default until I figured it out, then gradually OC settings
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I notice your computer profile says 3GB DDR2. Is that three sticks? I've never had much luck with uneven numbers of RAM modules. If they are each 1GB, I would try pulling the odd one. Are the other two running in dual channel mode? That helps with performance.

Is your RAM rated for that OC and running at the proper voltage for the OC?

And I would try a RAM test as suggested. If you get a BSOD there, that could be the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll run the mem and cpu test like you guys suggest as soon as this encoding is done (6hrs left).

redwudz - yes I'm running 3x 1GB sticks. My board has 4 dimm slots with each 2 running in a separate channel (so yes dual channel) and I suppose that would make 2GBs running on one channel and the other gig running on the second channel. I have no idea how that affects performance, I haven't found much about that, but then again I haven't really looked. I use this forum site as a guide http://www.overclock.net.

I used to have my system running much faster at 3.65GHz and my memory up at a full 1000Mhz. Even at those speeds I only had intermittent issues with crashing, etc. So I'm fairly confident that my system is stable. But I will double check with stability testers to be sure.

Thanks for all your input, guys.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely do the RAM checks. RAM can have problems at any time. Some MBs won't operate properly with three sticks, but from what you say, not a problem with your system and MB.

With dual channel, I've seen statements of 10% increase in RAM performance. I doubt that. But it should have some improvement over no dual channel because of improved memory mapping. But I can't quantify that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having similar problems, I used to make DVD rips using x264 with automkv all the time with no problems prefect encodes all the time. I got myself the Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR and I starting recording. After struggling with editing out commercials. I was able to do a couple x264 encodes perfectly. Well after doing more experimenting with cutting commercials. Now, I can't make any encodes at all from my recordings. Xvid, x264 in mp4 or mkv with any ap. ripbotx264, automkv, handbrake, mediacoder everything crashes near the end of the first pass or second pass. Any ideas what could have created my problem?
    Thank you in advance....
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check your CPU temperatures and run a RAM test. If both of those pass, then it could be any number of things causing it. Background software running is another possibility. Antivirus or other types of memory/disk intensive programs may be running and causing conflicts or high memory use.

When I had H.264 encoding problems, it was incorrect RAM settings and a unstable overclock. My Q9300 is now OC'd to 3.3Ghz, runs CPU temps of 42C max with all cores at 100% and is completely stable, even with 6hr MKV encodes.

EDIT: Some of those encoder programs should have produced a log. I would study them and see if the cause of the crashes are detailed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you happen to D/L one of the latest ones from this forum board ?

I had D/L'ed v1065, (using the direct link VH provides) and when I got home to try it out, it kept crashing and crashing and crashing on all my computers. Then, as it turned out, (on a whim) I re-D/L'ed, instead this time, from the main website. In short, it worked perfectly. Sometimes the "direct link" that the forum board admin provides gets garbled up or something. Or maybe it was a bad d/l on my part--who know, I don't care. Might be your case. You never know.

-vhelp 4985
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well i went through cleaned out unwanted things and had my first successful encode using ripbotx264 everything was perfect, was a lot quicker too. The only problem was a line across the bottom. When I did an xvid with mediacoder I had same line and the file size was smaller by 15mb than I had set it for. But, at least no more crashes! now I can experiment more and learn!...thanks everyone. off to find the line across the bottom forum.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    after a few good encodes I had the problem again. I provided my encode log from handbrake. I see errors but I'm not keen enough to decipher. Could anyone make more sense of this mess and provide another piece to the puzzle for me. Thank you...

encodelog.rtf
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think the problem is at the end of the logfile:

x264 [error]: ratecontrol_init: can't open stats file
    23 [unknown (0xF6C)] HandBrakeCLI 2872 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    13187 [unknown (0xF6C)] HandBrakeCLI 2872 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to HandBrakeCLI.exe.stackdump
    The 'can't open stats file' would seem to say it's doing a two pass encode. The first pass generates a stats file to control the variable bitrate for the real encode. But I'm not sure about the cause. Either it can't find the stats file or something prevented/blocked it from opening it.

This might be caused by a interfering program, a memory problem, or something wrong in the hard drive, or even a built in error in the program. I would definitely run a memory test and defrag your hard drive, and also try disconnecting from the internet and temporarily turn off all antimalware programs or anything that may be interfering.

Sorry, not much help beyond that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it's wierd sometimes I have problems and sometimes I don't. It's a shot in the dark. But, if I do encodes from mpeg hd .ts dvr-ms into x264 mkv's or mp4's It's flawless and really fast. It's only when I encode a h264 recording. I've done memory checks, system is secure. I'm convinced I must have clashing codecs or something. But, I don't know what to look for. Another idea I had was is there a fast way to convert the h264 .ts .m2ts recordings into the mpeg hd .ts .m2ts? then I could run them through videoredo for quick edits and do like i've been doing b4 my adventures in h264 recordings.

StaxRip gives me this, warning in the log when the x264 crashes. It's always on the 2nd pass on large files. I can do short 5 to 20 min long clips no problem. but I'm doing around 45-48 min clips.

------------------------------------------------------------
    x264 Second Pass

"C:\Users\wahzoo\AppData\Local\StaxRip\Application s\x264\x264.exe" --pass 2 --bitrate 1924 --stats "C:\Users\wahzoo\Videos\projects\MP4test.stats " --ref 3 --bframes 16 --b-pyramid --weightb --direct auto --filter -2:-1 --subme 6 --partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8 --8x8dct --trellis 1 --me umh --merange 12 --threads auto --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --output "C:\Users\wahzoo\Videos\projects\MP4test_EncoderOu tput.264" "C:\Users\wahzoo\Videos\projects\MP4test.avs"

avis [info]: 624x480 @ 29.97 fps (87372 frames)
    x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 Cache64
    x264 [warning]: Error: 2pass curve failed to converge
    x264 [warning]: target: 1924.00 kbit/s, expected: 203.87 kbit/s, avg QP: 10.0002
    x264 [warning]: try reducing target bitrate or reducing qp_min (currently 10)

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Error

x264 encoding failed

Here's a new question, out of curiosity I tried to encode one of my 'untouched' recordings and it encoded it perfect. I'm wondering could h264tscutter be messing up the files and that's what's causing my crashes?

Well, some more input is VLC crashes when I try to play any of these recordings. I can play x264 encodes, in mp4 or mkv with VLC. I just tried to burn one of my recordings with Total Media that came with the Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR and it crashed instantly. More evidence to me that I have a conflict with the h264 and the x264. But, I don't know what to look for and what to remove?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's my log from RipBot264

C:\>"C:\Users\wahzoo\Downloads\RipBot264v1.12.0\to ols\x264\x264.exe" "C:\temp\RipBot264temp\job1\job1.avs" --pass 1 --bitrate 3354 --stats "C:\temp\RipBot264temp\job1\job1.stats" --sar 1:1 --level 4.0 --aud --nal-hrd --vbv-bufsize 25000 --vbv-maxrate 25000 --filter 0,0 --ref 3 --mixed-refs --bframes 3 --b-adapt 1 --weightb --direct auto --subme 7 --trellis 1 --partitions all --8x8dct --me umh --threads auto --thread-input --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --partitions none --subme 3 --me dia --output "C:\temp\RipBot264temp\video.264"

avis [info]: 1280x720 @ 29.97 fps (73794 frames)

x264 [info]: using SAR=1/1

x264 [info]: profile High, level 4.0

C:\>"C:\Users\wahzoo\Downloads\RipBot264v1.12.0\to ols\x264\x264.exe" "C:\temp\RipBot264temp\job1\job1.avs" --pass 2 --bitrate 3354 --stats "C:\temp\RipBot264temp\job1\job1.stats" --sar 1:1 --level 4.0 --aud --nal-hrd --vbv-bufsize 25000 --vbv-maxrate 25000 --filter 0,0 --ref 3 --mixed-refs --bframes 3 --b-adapt 1 --weightb --direct auto --subme 7 --trellis 1 --partitions all --8x8dct --me umh --threads auto --thread-input --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --output "C:\temp\RipBot264temp\video.264"

avis [info]: 1280x720 @ 29.97 fps (73794 frames)

x264 [info]: using SAR=1/1

x264 [error]: ratecontrol_init: can't open stats file

x264 [error]: x264_encoder_open failed

C:\>"C:\Users\wahzoo\Downloads\RipBot264v1.12.0\to ols\mkvtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe" -o "C:\Temp\FINAL.mkv" --default-duration 0:29.97fps -d 0 -A -S "C:\temp\RipBot264temp\video.264" --sync 0:0 -a 0 -D -S "C:\temp\RipBot264temp\job1\audio.1.ac3"

mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Oct 11 2008 20:10:57

Error: The file 'C:\temp\RipBot264temp\video.264' has unknown type. Please have a look at the supported file types ('mkvmerge --list-types') and contact the author Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org> if your file type is supported but not recognized properly.
    -------------------------

Elapsed Time: 00h:39m:27s
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I get very similar problems if i overclock to much. goes about half way then BSOD or just goes blank, have you tried setting your memory at a lower value then try the same clock speed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just for experimentation purposes, try moving ripbot264 to a folder on the root of your drive - ala c:\ripbot264 . I'm wondering if your .stats file doesn't like being so many levels deep

Running a test on X264.exe, I see it makes a call to a support DLL called QUSEREX.DLL . That DLL is not on my hard drive yet X264 still works fine. Do a search for QUSEREX.DLL on your system and temporarily rename it to QUSEREX.OLD if it exists.

Edit: Different versions of X264 make different calls to various DLLs

Edit2: I'm guessing there's a Visual C DLL that's not happy for some reason. Try reinstalling the Visual C runtimes:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C3...displaylang=en

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TY soopafresh...so far so good. I have to crop the 8 lines from bottom because I'm getting the line across.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    after taking some time off, I did some experimenting, anytime I try to encode something that is h264 into any other file container using x264 is when i get the x264 crashes. Some times randomly it works. But, I can do .vobs from DVD's HDTV Mpeg 2's into x264 encoded mkv's or mp4's perfectly without flaws or errors.
    Quote Quote