VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi newbie here so apologies in advance for being dumb! I have a problem I need fixing by Sunday or I'm up a certain creek without a paddle.

I'm running a course on monday where I need to capture role-plays on video using a Panasonic NV-GS11 Camcorder (I know) and then play them back instantly for review pre editing. my only playback option is my laptop. Fortunately I have a firewire card/cable (and USB 2.o if I must). Previously we've used a cheap and not very cheerful software package called PlayDV by River Past but it crashes pretty much every time I try to resize the screen to make it watchable. I thought I'd just upgrade to their new version which cost me $20 but now when I press the play option it just acts like a remote control and plays my camcorder on its own little screen. This is a disaster. I've tried system restore and all the help/support options (which are very limited) at river past and come up with zilch.

So I need one simple piece of software that will let me instantly play the content of my miniDV tape from my camcorder onto my laptop screen and will play out both audio and video live - I haven't got the luxury of the the time required to capture/save on a little thumbnail first in real time, I need to play back straight after filming on full screen.

I've been advised to get WinDV which does the video bit but with no audio, if I could fix that problem it would do for Monday, if not is there a decent bit of software I can get/buy that will just do a proper job!

Cheers everyone in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know your setup, but if it's possible to keep the camcorder connected while taping, you could be recording to the PC in real time (using WinDV) and can do immediate playbacks from the computer file.

Edit: Actually, I don't know if it's possible with your Cam. It's just something I've done with my Sony TRV230.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks gadgetguy just tried that and it works perfectly for video but no audio, should i have connected the usb 2 as well? or a lead from the phone socket on the cam to the laptop's soundcard? feel's like i'm almost there...
    Quote Quote  
  4. You won't be able to hear the audio real-time while recording, but it should be there for playback. Which did you select in WinDV, Type1 or Type2? And what are you using for playback? The firewire connection should be all you need.

You could also try Scenalyzer. I've never used it, but I've read that it offers more options while capsferring.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, we have success! Your help is much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just for anyone else viewing this thread what solution did you use?
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV, selecting Type 2 sends video and audio live from the cam. You don't even start recording using the cam, just set it to record/pause then select capture on WinDV - it captures direct to the laptop and drops an avi file in a folder on the desktop (so I don't actually use a miniDV tape at all). I then double click the avi file and it plays normally in (say) windows media player.

The only drawback I can see on this is that because the cam itself isn't recording onto miniDV after 6mins it powers down as it thinks nothing is happening. This seems to be a factory default looking at the user instructions but 6mins is long enough for what I'm doing so its ok.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Take the tape out (and, if needs be, leave the compartment open - depends on model).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry Johnny, can I just check my understanding...... are you saying if I take the tape out and/or leave the compartment open I won't suffer the factory default power-down after 6mins? If so, hats off to you - I would then have the perfect solution!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV will get the file over to the laptop but preview will be low quality. You can play the file and apply on the fly deinterlacing with the VLC player.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Weasel08
    Sorry Johnny, can I just check my understanding...... are you saying if I take the tape out and/or leave the compartment open I won't suffer the factory default power-down after 6mins? If so, hats off to you - I would then have the perfect solution!
    That's it. This has always worked with my camcorders over the years. They have all been Sony so I can't speak to Panasonic. But it's a quick test to find out. My newest camcorders have a menu option to disable the power down.
    Quote Quote