VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have ripped 25 DVDs and would like to make 1 DivX file for each DVD. What is the best way to accomplish this? Do I have to merge the multiple VOBs from each DVD first, then convert? Or is there software that will do this autmatically? I can't seem to find anything. Preferably something with batch capabilities is out there?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I was just looking into that. Do you know if I select the IFO file if AutoGK will convert all VOB on DVD into one .avi file, or just VOB sets like VOB2_0, VOB2_1, etc. and then it creates a separate .avi for VOB3_0, VOB3_1, etc.
    I could install this and just play around with it to see but I'm not at my home computer right now to do so. And it looks like AutoGK does batch processing - perfect. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. To get the entire movie, load either the right IFO file or the first VOB (the rest get picked up automatically). No subtitles if loading the VOBs, though, if that's important to you.
    ...or just VOB sets like VOB2_0, VOB2_1
    VOB2_0 will be a menu VOB, so you won't get that. You'll get all the other VOBs belonging to the same VTS as the IFO. If there are extras and other stuff in different VTS's from the movie, you won't get them. But if intending to use AutoGK you should be decrypting the movie only. You might run into trouble with things like audio synch if you put the entire DVD on the hard drive. If you really do want the extras, decrypt them separately to their own folders and encode them separately. If you really do want everything, movie, extras, logos, and other crap in one big AVI, put them on the hard drive and rename them so everything's consecutively numbered. But you'll probably run into audio synch problems somewhere along the line.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am piggy backing on this post because I think I want to do the same thing.

I have Auto GK.

Is there a how to to get the four discreet VideoTS files into separate avi's?

I will fire up Auto GK in the meantime and see what happens.

Videohelp has always been a great resource for me in the past.

Thanks for any replies.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is there a how to to get the four discreet VideoTS files into separate avi's?
    Just set DVD Decrypter to IFO Mode and decrypt each PGC to its own folder. Then feed either the IFO or the VOBs for each PGC into AutoGK.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by manono
    Is there a how to to get the four discreet VideoTS files into separate avi's?
    Just set DVD Decrypter to IFO Mode and decrypt each PGC to its own folder. Then feed either the IFO or the VOBs for each PGC into AutoGK.
    I have got it going.

It picked up the first VOB and I am running the AGK routines on the
    individual files.

I have no need to do menus and such for this job. If the avis are viewable and have audio and AGK maybe fixes the quality some that's the best this job
    can expect.

What is PGC?

I have DVDD but my file list from my computer dvd player gave the files and I was able to get them onto the hard drive from there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What is PGC?
    It stands for ProGram Chain. In the language you used earlier, the PGCs are the four discreet VideoTS files. A PGC might be an individual movie or episode or video or logo, etc. When using DVD Decrypter in IFO Mode it highlights the longest PGC by default, and you look around for the others.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I made one try with AGK at 1/3 cd size.

This must have been too small because much resolution was lost.

I made the next at full cd 700 mb and 90% quality.

Will inspect that one shortly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think I understand PGC now.

AGK has done this unbeknownst to me. I found that viewing the content showed four pieces all strung together which was what I was trying to undo.

So to review, can you take me through using DVDD to get these things separated?

BTW, I wondered why the size was so big, now I know since there are four elements of content rather than the one. At 700 mb, the 1 hour 56 minute content still looks pretty good
    Quote Quote  
  10. Start DVD Decrypter:

1) Mode -> IFO
    2) Select DVD Source Drive
    3) Select desired episode in right pane
    4) Select output folder
    5) File -> Decrypt
    Quote Quote  
  11. I am on the path of solving this now.

DVDD in IFO mode gave 22 chapters and 10 cells. But there is only 4
    pieces of content about the same size.

Some of these things might be menus and stuff. The menus never worked
    and that's why I'm doing this repair work.

So how can I get just the original 4 pieces of content without the other chapters and cells in DVDD ? I have the DVDD manual form years ago but I haven't looked at it lately nor do I recall this being covered.

Have there been any updates to the DVDD manual for easier use?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Go by the size of the cells. All the episodes will be about the same size and the same running time. Menus, FBI warnings, etc will be much smaller. If you're not sure about a cell just rip it and take a look.

DVD Decryptor has not been updated in years because the MPAA threatened the developer with lawsuits.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Some of these things might be menus and stuff.
    DVD Decrypter in IFO Mode doesn't show you the menus. Now, unlike what you said earlier about the 4 discrete VTS's, you seem to be saying that the 4 videos all are in the same PGC.

Each of the videos will have a specific number of chapters. It looks to me as if some have 5 and some 6, although I could be wrong. I'd suggest checking the first 5 and deselecting the rest, decrypt it to the hard drive, check out what you got and adjust if necessary. Then go on to the second video. It may take some trial and error until you get them all, but nothing very difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  14. On closer examination every chapter has 10 cells. Each chapter shows to be 5 minutes or something. The pie appears to be cut in even slices. None of it adds up.

I'll see if I can get out the first 5 as above.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well that wasn't working. I think the original content was all one file-- start/ stop recording and then transfer through a video card from tape.

Next step, try to do it in reverse. I got AGK to do the fourth VOB element
    and see if that gives me about a half hour's worth.

If I wanted to go through hell, I'd try to use Nero Express to edit this.
    That gives me fits.

I do not have access to a good freeware editing program. Lots of stuff for sale I know, but I got the Nero with a DVD player back in the days when there was no time limit on it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. You can also cut one big encode into separate episodes losslessly with VirtualDub in Direct Stream Copy mode (both audio and video).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Well, going at this backwards got me one useable piec eof content I think.

But the time index was off. I have to proof all these things by watching them
    but a brief check showed a beginning and an end with only 8 minutes elapsed on a 25 minute avi.

I tried to use virtual dub ages ago doing a similar job like I'm trying to retrieve. It was a nightmare-- no way to control the size of the output so it got huge. The two windows didn't want to stay the same size. The developer of the program seemed to be crabby and wouldn't respond to difficulties. You had to patch in codecs like Hubble and Pegasus or whatever it was called. A never ending nightmare. I gave up.

That's the reason things like AGK were developed: interfaces to make Virtual Dub bearable.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by loninappleton
    I tried to use virtual dub ages ago doing a similar job like I'm trying to retrieve. It was a nightmare-- no way to control the size of the output so it got huge. The two windows didn't want to stay the same size. The developer of the program seemed to be crabby and wouldn't respond to difficulties. You had to patch in codecs like Hubble and Pegasus or whatever it was called. A never ending nightmare. I gave up.

That's the reason things like AGK were developed: interfaces to make Virtual Dub bearable.
    VirtualDub and AviSynth are the two most reliable and powerful tools. I use them every day. If you're going to make AVI files it's well worth it to learn how to use VirtualDub. It's not that difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by loninappleton
    AGK has done this unbeknownst to me. I found that viewing the content showed four pieces all strung together which was what I was trying to undo.
    Since, for reasons which escape me, you're having trouble decrypting the 4 videos individually, take the whole thing as encoded by AutoGK and split it into the 4 pieces using VDub(Mod). As jagabo said, set both video and audio to Direct Stream Copy (default for the audio), mark the in and out places, and save.

Or, put the whole thing (the VOBs) on the hard drive and split the VOBs into the 4 videos using something like MPEG2Cut or DVD Shrink. Then feed those into AutoGK.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have DVD Decriypter, DVD Shrink, Simple DivX, Auto GK and AviSynth 2.5, And I still can't get these damn .vob files into one .avi file. I've tried everything and I think the only way to learn is trial and error. I don't use simpledivX anymore cuz I would wait all that time and it would freeze up and not respond. I have used DVDD and got 5 .vob files, I am such a noob it hurts, lol. But I have 5 .vob files and I have used DVD Shrink and it gave me like 15 .vob files. What do I do next and please don't just say use a program cuz obviously I don't know how they work. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also I try to open the IFO file on Auto GK and it asks me what PCG to use, do I have to do it one at a time? or pick the right one that matches the length of the movie? And some say the length is like 2:24:03:06, what are these and why are they longer than the movie? TY
    Quote Quote  
  22. Also I try to open the IFO file on Auto GK and it asks me what PCG to use
    If you were to decrypt using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode, or DVDFab HD Decrypter in Main-Movie Mode, as you're supposed to, you'd only have one PGC choice. It's sometimes a big mistake to put the entire DVD onto the hard drive before using AutoGK.
    And some say the length is like 2:24:03:06, what are these and why are they longer than the movie?
    That's a little vague for me. It sounds as if it's a movie with angles, with a shorter Theatrical Version and a somewhat longer Director's Cut or somesuch. Anyway, that problem would be solved by choosing the version you wanted during the decrypting.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Heffnuts
    And some say the length is like 2:24:03:06, what are these and why are they longer than the movie?
    With episodic DVDs there is often a "play all" option that will show up as an IFO the length of all the episodes added together.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow I just realized that this stopped in 2003, so I'm probably talking to myself.
    Quote Quote