VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    please could someone point me towards a program or some instructions on how to extract subtitles from a set of VOB files / a VIDEO_TS folder ?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you want .sub/.idx graphic files then ffmpegX will do it

If you want a text file .srt then D-Vision/D-Subtitler copes fairly well but when you're "training" it, be very careful about committing it to any recognitions that you're not 100% sure of or you're stuck with them for the timebeing. If you do make a mistake you can clear its vocabulary in ~/Library/Application Support/D-Vision 3/D-Subtitler/db.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks ffooky.

i'm trying to reauthor a disc in studio pro because there are problems with the menu navigation. i've demuxed the vobs with streamclip and need to extract the subtitles in a format that i can use to add them back to the video in studio pro.

i have ffmpegX but not sure what format to choose and which options to select ... or maybe there is another way i should be doing all this ... ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think there is a way to bring VobSub (.idx/.sub) subtitles back into a DVD project. (If there a way, I would like to know.)

You should extract the subtitles in SubRip (.srt) format. Convert that to Spruce (.stl) format, which is the format that can be imported into DVD Studio Pro. Jubler can do that conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks case

i extract the subs with d-subtitler but still need to correct all it's mistakes. when i've done that i'll see if jubler can make this file useful in studio pro.

is there another way to do all this - is there any way for me to take the original VOB files and somehow extract them with the optional subtitles burned in to the muxed or demuxed video ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. A quick tip for editing the errors with D-Subtitler...open the .srt with TextEdit and each time you come across an error, do a Find (cmd-F) for it and just keep replacing and Find Next each instance you come across.

In my experience it's punctuation marks and consonant combinations with r and k that get mis-recognised the most.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by webstar
    is there another way to do all this - is there any way for me to take the original VOB files and somehow extract them with the optional subtitles burned in to the muxed or demuxed video ?
    If you want to burn them in, that requires a complete re-encoding. So, you will still suffer some degradation in the process. That's an unavoidable consequence of hard-subbing. Keeping the optional subs selectable is the only way to avoid this degradation.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually you can use the Find and Replace feature built into D-subtitler to correct any errors
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case
    I don't think there is a way to bring VobSub (.idx/.sub) subtitles back into a DVD project. (If there a way, I would like to know.)
    I don't know if this is useful to Mac users, but there is a simple Windows app, SubToSup, that can make SUB+IDX into SUP files. And then many authoring apps will import SUP subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 11:51.
    Quote Quote