VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a program to transfer parts of a high def. miniDV tape to the computer. Most transfer programs I have used want to start from the beginning of the tape to do the transfer and not at a specified time. I am only after certain parts to transfer as they are going to be used on the web (yes I know hi def is overkill but my client wants web snippets from the tape and also a full transfer to DVD, hence the hi def).

Is there a program that I could specify a start and finish time for the transfer? Ideally without to much fuss as he does not want to pay a lot for the web snippets, and to be honest, I normally would not do this if it was not for the fact he also wants a full transfer of some of his tapes.

Many Thanks

Alan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are going to do a full transfer to DVD anyway, why not transfer the lot, use an editor to isolate and export the clips for the web, and be done with it ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with guns1inger>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since when did DVD "need" HD?

(Though that's what I use my HV20 for as well).

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately not all the tapes are also converted to DVD and considering he wants this done on the cheap I was looking for a quick and easy way to do this. I also agree that it is overkill for the DVD but I think he has been sold the camera by some clever sales people who have convinced him that it is the way to go.... Any ideas for a quick transfer program that can do exact start and finishes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDVsplit allows you to ff and rw from the on screen controls, and it'll automatically split the file on scene changes. But I agree with the above comments that the easiest sway would be to capture the entire tape and edit the resulting M2T file. BTW, the HV20 is a great camera - one of the best.

The easiest way to manipulate the output .M2T files is with VideoRedo
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDV Split can't see the camcorder but I found Microsoft's Movie Maker does see it (yes I know it is a flaky package).
    Quote Quote  
  8. are you using a firewire connection?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arobertson1
    HDV Split can't see the camcorder but I found Microsoft's Movie Maker does see it (yes I know it is a flaky package).
    Unless you're on Vista (IIRC) WMM doesn't do HD, so it sounds like you have the camcorder in SD (DV) mode - HDVsplit is not for SD - use WinDV for that.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote