VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I’m extremely new to this. I bought a Panasonic SDR-H40 Palmcorder a few months ago and am just now trying to burn some video to dvd.

The problem is I have a laptop with Vista 64-bit and the Panasonic Software included (VideoCam Suite) will not work on this computer.

I have dvd burning software — DVDFabGold, which I have used for backing up dvds, and DVD MovieFactory for Toshiba, which came with laptop and I have never used it. I also have AShampoo Burning Studio 6.

I have transferred the files from the camcorder to the laptop and they are .MOI files. So I need to know what to do to get them ready to burn on a dvd. If there’s some kind of software I should buy that isn’t terribly expensive, I’m willing to do that. I see lots of other conversion softwares but they don't list .MOI as an option.

Any advice is appreciated, but also maybe explain it like I’m 5 since I have never done this before.

Thanks in advance for your willingness to help. Thank you thank you thank you.

Brooke
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There should be both .MOD and .MOI files there. Rename the extensions to .MPG so you can play them on your computer. It's really the MOD files you should be concerned with, they're the ones with the video in them.

If you want the simplest way to make a DVD, use ConvertXtoDVD to convert your files to DVD. Worth the $50 and you can evaluate the software before buying.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    There should be both .MOD and .MOI files there. Rename the extensions to .MPG so you can play them on your computer. It's really the MOD files you should be concerned with, they're the ones with the video in them.

If you want the simplest way to make a DVD, use ConvertXtoDVD to convert your files to DVD. Worth the $50 and you can evaluate the software before buying.
    You're right. Now that I'm looking more closely, the folder has files like this:

MOV004.MOI (2KB)
    MOV004 (82,698 KB)

The second one without an extension is an .MOD file, when I check properties. So the MOD is the only one I need to deal with? I will change the extension to .MPG and then test out the ConvertXtoDVD software.

Do you have a favorite video editing software? Nothing fancy - not trying to take Sundance by storm. Just want to do very simple stuff.
    THANK YOU.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Vista 64bit and video editing = NOno.

It might work to edit mpg(mpeg2) directly with Windows MovieMaker but it's usually very buggy. Or else would I try Ulead VideoStudio or if you just want to do cutting,joining use VideoRedo.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use Avidemux.
    Open .MOD file and save it as MPG
    -> Video=Copy, Audio=Copy and Format=MPEG-PS (A+V)

- kaapo -
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas Movie Studio ($55) is a very good editor. All editors will have a bit of a learning curve, but you should be productive after a few hours.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Vegas_Movie_Studio
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Clarification - should I change BOTH the .moi and .mod files to mpg? I'm assuming yes but shouldn't assume anything!
    So you think that Vegas software will work with Vista 64 bit? I'll definitely check into those suggestions. Right now I just need to get the video I have on a dvd for my brother, but down the road I want to be able to edit out some of the stuff.
    I'll keep you posted on my progress. Hope to tackle this over the weekend.
    Thanks!!
    Brooke
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="monkeypack"]
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh

Hey - I changed the extentions to MPG and i can play them on my computer. Then I installed ConvertXtoDVD and when I try to add the MPGs to the program, it says that type file is not supported. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Brooke
    Quote Quote