VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to get a GL2, and have seen what looked like great prices
    at several websites. I even tried to order one, but they were
    sold out. So I tried the next place, and luckily for me I called.
    During the order, the guy asked if I wanted a 10X or 20X lense.
    That hit me pretty hard, since it says nowhere at the website that
    the camera doesn't come with a lense, and the picture at the
    website shows the camera with a lense on it. That seems like a
    dirty trick to me, but I found at least 4 places that are doing it
    and none of their sales people seem to think there's anything wrong
    with it, so I guess it's a common and accepted thing. So what is the
    advantage? Where can we get a good price on a 20X lense for a GL2?

Thanks for any help!
    David
    Quote Quote  
  2. Buyer beware.

It is an old trick in the business to 'give the impression that the lens (or other accesories) are included' and then sell them to the customer while you have them on the phone or in the store.

Basically, if the price seems really good, then there is usually a reason for it.

Refurbs sold as new, included items sold seperately, no USA warranty (read as Gray Market), etc.

Curious as to the place you called, but I have my guesses.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is not common and accepted. You are being scammed. If you see a price that seems too good to be true it probably is. If they try to tell you things like the lens, AC adapter, or other accessories are separate they are trying to scam you. A lot of sites that will come up on a Google search are bait and switch routines like you were almost suckered into. Ask around here and at camcorderinfo.com if you want to know if a store is legitimate. Absolutely don't spend any money until you verify the company.

BTW, if you have already placed this order you need to contact the credit card company and this store and get it cancelled ASAP. You are being taken advantage of and don't deserve to be screwed out of your hard earned money.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When SLR 35MM cameras were more popular, I usually bought bought mine without a lens. But they were clearly labeled as 'camera bodies' so there would be no misunderstanding. The normal 50MM is the one I rarely used. And a zoom telephoto and variable wide angle often covered the 50MM range.

But with a video camera the 'standard' lens would be commonly used, with maybe a telephoto or wide angle for special shots. Not making it obvious that a lens is not included does seem to sound suspiciously like a scam when it isn't mentioned 'up front' in the ads.

BTW, you probably want to pick up a few filters and a good tripod, along with the camera. And a couple of extra batteries.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a GL2 and it only comes with a 20x lens. It is NOT interchangable. Don't fall for the scam. BTW, it's an excellent camera
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Des
    Buyer beware.

Curious as to the place you called, but I have my guesses.

--dES
    The first place I called said they were sold out, and at that time I was
    as yet unaware of the no-lense trick...whatever it is.

The next three places I got in touch with, all of whom said it was
    without a lens, were:

http://photodynasty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2292&
    Photo Dynasty
    888-672-4077

http://soniccameras.com/catalog/product_info.php?redirect&origin=http://www.pricingdep...oducts_id=2292
    Sonic Cameras
    888-450-4111

http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=7668
    Shop Digital Direct
    888-313-7468

The last place I asked specifically if all the cameras they sold were without
    a lense, and they said "yes". One of the places I called said that none of the
    places selling cameras online sold them with a lense.

So if I bought one would it have a lense, since the GL2 has a parmanently
    mounted lense, and they're just trying to sell an additional one?
    Quote Quote  
  7. You are being scammed. If you read the specs for that camera on all the sites you provide links to, they all mention the same lens.

I also have a GL2, and it has a permanently mounted lens. I got it about 4 years ago for $1850, which was a very low price at that time.

The prices you are being quoted are TOO low for a new GL2. Average good price is closer to $1800 - $2000 (do a search on pricegrabber.com), and it has held at that level for several years, which tells you something about the quality of this camera.

All the sites you showed links to look VERY similar in design. I would be VERY suspicious - the last two may be owned by the same company. If you do buy from them, definitely read their return policy very carefully first, pay with a credit card, and be prepared for a hassle if you try to return it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Interesting, the first and third place listed have no location information. Also, all 3 sites look somewhat similar.

After 24 years in the photo business in NJ you start to recognize bad apples quickly.

Try B and H photo, they will be honest over the phone regarding warranties, etc. But only if you ask.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/255811-REG/Canon_7920A001_GL2_Mini_DV_3CCD.html

or
    Unique Photo. They will sometimes bargain a price with you.
    http://www.uniquephoto.com/index.php?expand=24221&detail=CNV1011

On the other coast:
    http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=1837

Happy hunting.

--dES
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can also vouch for the suggested merchants which Des noted. Bhphoto usually has better prices than samy's .

Don't fall for the online scam stuff. It's a notorious racket. If you're trying to get a Porsche for the price of a Volkswagen, you'll probably end up with a Yugo.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    B & H is the go-to mail-order place for pro photographers. The only catch is that you have to pay attention to the calendar; they are observant Jews, and simply close the store for some holidays (as much as a week or so). Not the absolutely best prices, but they'll be honest with you.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen better mail-order scams than a "Canon GL2 without a lens". But to nopEda, why don't you get back at them by calling them and telling what a sluttish scam it is and see what they have to say? Or, give as good as you get and tell them "I want the GL2 but with the x100 zoom lens & 24hr battery..."
    The person taking the orders senses your level of knowledge of the subject matter in a few seconds and matches his rhetoric to it. They would never ever have offered a "GL2 without a lens" to someone they have a prickly sense is a pro. That's just how it is.
    Even though B&H is one of the better ones they will only tell specifics about that thing you want if you deliberately ask about it. I seldom buy mail-order but just the same I do my homework first like I would if I went to a brick-&-mortar.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cdb
    If you do buy from them, definitely read their return policy very carefully first, pay with a credit card, and be prepared for a hassle if you try to return it.
    I called Canon and talked to a GL2 rep. He said that if it doesn't have a lens, it is
    not a GL2. He was very specific and insistent about it. He also confirmed that it is
    not new in the box from the manufacturer like it says it is at the website, if it doesn't
    have a lense. So figuring it either is not a GL2, or if it is that it will have a lense, I
    went ahead and ordered one. The return policy said things can be returned for a
    refund within 15 days. I should get it Thursday, and if it has a lense I'll check it out
    as well as possible, including recording something to a friend's computer I hope. If
    it turns out to be a decent camera, I'll be way ahead of the game if I can get a new
    one with a factory warranty for $740 including shipping.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turk690
    The person taking the orders senses your level of knowledge of the subject matter in a few seconds and matches his rhetoric to it. They would never ever have offered a "GL2 without a lens" to someone they have a prickly sense is a pro. That's just how it is.
    I mentioned to the first guy who sang the no lense song that a GL2
    doesn't have a removable lense, and he said something about that
    and said it was a body only. So I pointed out that it shows a picture
    with the lense on at the website, doesn't say anything at all about
    no lense or body only at the website, and there is no option for
    getting a lense at the website. When asked how much with the lense
    ($699 without supposedly) he said something like $1700. So I asked
    if most people had no problem with the fact that it was over twice as
    much as indicated on the website, and over a $1000 more money,
    and he said most people have no problem with it. So I asked if most
    people somehow know automatically that it doesn't include a lense,
    and he estimated that 9 out of 10 of their customers know automatically
    because normally the camera is about $2000, so they know it's a body
    only without a lense. I wonder if there's any truth to any of it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just in case we don't have enough testimonials for B&H, I put together a corporate agreement with them for equipment for the newspaper corporation I work for. They're good folks to deal with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When in NYC visit their store near Penn Station. Lots of obscure stuff and salesmen that want to move it. The opposite of a slow high ticket sale. Big ticket items are moved unemotionally as commodities.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  16. So figuring it either is not a GL2, or if it is that it will have a lense, I
    went ahead and ordered one.
    You did!?

I'll be very interested to hear what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by nopEda
    So figuring it either is not a GL2, or if it is that it will have a lense, I
    went ahead and ordered one. The return policy said things can be returned for a
    refund within 15 days. I should get it Thursday, and if it has a lense I'll check it out
    as well as possible, including recording something to a friend's computer I hope. If
    it turns out to be a decent camera, I'll be way ahead of the game if I can get a new
    one with a factory warranty for $740 including shipping.
    Dude Please keep us all posted. Do they have a restocking fee as part of their refund policy? Most places that pull this stuff are unlikely to give a full and easy refund. I hope you're in good with your credit card company.
    At that price at the very least it is extremely unlikely it is USA warranty. Canon will sometimes perform warranty service on Gray market items with a sales receipt (Nikon will not).

I wish you the best of luck with this purchase.

--dES
    Quote Quote