VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Is it possible to edit a XVid avi file in Vegas and save it without having to re-compress the file again ?

Since it is already compressed, maybe it is possible, but there are so many codec options...

I edited a 111M file and ended up with a 3G file even after removing a few minutes of footage !

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fast recompress in virtualdub should save without reencoding. I don't have vegas so I dont' know what equivalent mode it might have.

Of course you could always try reencoding back to xvid or divx but there will be some quality loss with a reencode.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by michelp
    Hello,

Is it possible to edit a XVid avi file in Vegas and save it without having to re-compress the file again ?

Since it is already compressed, maybe it is possible, but there are so many codec options...

I edited a 111M file and ended up with a 3G file even after removing a few minutes of footage !

Thanks.
    Vegas will decompress xvid or anything else to the project format you specified under File-New (e.g.DV or uncompressed). Internally it decompresses to RGB whenever you process.

So, from there, after editing, you can export to any supported format. To return to xvid, you need to install the codec. Vegas doesn't support xvid encoding out of the box.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. If your editing consists of just simple cuts and removal of sections like commercials, you can do it all in vdub for free without re-encoding. If you editing is more complex, has transitions & special effects, you have to re-encode either way
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for the hints.

Will try VirtualDub, since all I need is to remove small parts of file.

Thanks again,

Michel
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    If your editing consists of just simple cuts and removal of sections like commercials, you can do it all in vdub for free without re-encoding. If you editing is more complex, has transitions & special effects, you have to re-encode either way
    Only if it's on an I-frame.
    P- and B-frames will need re-encoding.

Scott
    Quote Quote