VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, guess we were all newbies once. I'm not a computer newbie but this is my first foray into video.

Setup: Intel Mac, recently-purchased Sony HDD video recorder attached to my television.

I have no trouble recording video from the ether to the Sony. I can also burn the video to a rewriteable DVD and, if I want, I can play that on the Mac using Apple's DVD Player.

But what I want to do is first suck the video into (for example) Apple's iMovie, edit out the commercials, join several recordings, and then burn the completed whole to a new DVD.

The material already appears on my "transfer disc" as VIDEO_TS material.

I have Mac the Ripper but, if I use it to extract, I'll surely just end up with another VIDEO_TS folder on the Mac. So that idea is out.

I also have Handbrake but, if I use that, I think I will end up with Quicktime files that cannot subsequently be turned into VIDEO_TS for later final burning. On the other hand, iMovie might be able to do that job in which case Handbrake might be exactly the tool I should use. (For all I know, iMovie might be able to import directly. I haven't tried yet.)

Instead, I risked wasting the time of some good folk and decided to ask about correct procedure before leaping into the unknown. Any help will be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You would likely get more answers to Mac specific questions in our Mac Forum. Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get MPEG Streamclip (free). Get Apple's MPEG2 component ($20, IIRC). You do not need QT Pro.

Drop the first VOB of the title (from the VIDEO_TS folder) into MPEG Streamclip and let it open the entire movie (which connects all the VOBs in the title, so to speak). Export as DV. Drop into iMovie. Edit.

You may find the Apple MPEG2 component here:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A?fnode=home/shop_mac/software/apple&mco=MTA4MDE0
    Quote Quote  
  4. no need to convert to DV at all, just use mpeg streamclip to edit out the commercials and then use toast to make a new dvd with simple menus...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very kind of you all, folks. The Mac community comes up trumps again.

Thanks,

grh
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Incidentally, Toast can also extract the MPEG video from a VR-mode rewritable DVD recorded by your Sony recorder. This is done by choosing DVD with the top button of the Toast media browser and dragging the video from the browser window to Toast's video window.

I prefer to do this rather than record video-mode DVDs that must be finalized in the recorder before being transferred to the Mac. I use MPEG Streamclip to edit the MPEG files extracted by Toast.
    Quote Quote