VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an .avi file that according to g.spot is encoded with the h.264 codec. Also, there is a subtitle file that is separate from the video file. What codec should I convert this file to in order to stream it to my ps3?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think you have to make permanent subtitles. I would use xvid4psp, load the avi and the subtitle file, choose a ps3 profile and convert.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I'll check it out.

Is it possible to just change the container to something else? I did that with some mkv files and would prefer to do it that way to avoid any image quality loss that comes with re-encoding the video. But I don't know if that's possible with avi files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Depends on the AVC level. I think you need 4.1 or less is compatible with PS3 (can't recall). You can check the level with mediainfo (view=>text) and change the level with h264info. There might be another reason for incompatibilities, however.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home. But I'll still need to make the subtitle file permanent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But I'll still need to make the subtitle file permanent.
    That means you MUST reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the info. Being able to stream to my ps3 seems to add another layer of complexity.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I downloaded XVID4PSP and when I tried to open the file, I got a message saying "The given path's format is not supported". Anyone know why I'm getting it? I doubled checked with gspot, it is an .avi file using the h.264 codec.
    Quote Quote