VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the program FAVC and a MKV file

I used the above program to convert to the MKV to a DVD format including an ISO file. Everything seemed to go ok except that the DVD had no sound, great picture but no sound.

The settings i used were the default ones for the program, I used the HC encoder at best quality, audio was AC3 and retain if present.

I opened the mkv file in Gspot and the info I got is detailed below in case that is relevant.

VIDEO (S) --> ffdshow Video Decoder --> DirectVobSub (auto-loading version) --> (R)
    AUDIO (S) --> SuperDVD AudioDec Filter 5.0 --> (R)

This is the 1st time I have done this so i probably didnt set something properly but i cant see what.

Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Frankly, I find converting mkv files twitchy at the best of times. One will convert without a hitch, then next will give you something unpredictable. The following works for me - that the best I can offer by way of guarantee.

Use mkvExtractGUI and mkvtoolnix to extract the audio and video streams from the mkv. Leave the rest of the just behind (unless you really need the subs).

Use mkvmerge to create a new mkv using just the video and audio stream.

Use FAVC to create the DVD from the new mkv file. Use and subs as external subs in FAVC.

If this fails - and sometimes it still does - try DVD Flick, and finally ConvertXtoDVD.

So far I haven't found a file that I haven't beaten by the end of this process, although I did have one that I still had to demux and rebuild to fix a sync problem. As it was a simple delay it was an easy fix.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I find that the best(works the most) method, is by extracting video and audio, convert audio if necessary,and merge...Or sometimes I create an .avs script, open in FAVC or HCEnc directly and finally author a new DVD...
    FYI, in the future for reading/analyzing mkv info use MediaInfo instead....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks - I have removed the 2 streams as you said and was about to merge them but mkvmerge comes up with a warning

"Your adding an AVC/h.264 elementary stream to the output file. MKVmerge cannot determine the number of FPS for such files itsefl. Therefore you have to set this parameter yourself

If not it will assume 25 FPS"

I dont know what the FPS should be? Any idea how i can find this out.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use MediaInfo on your mkv.....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok I found the fps rate, followed the instructions and created a merged file from the extracted audio and video but that file isnt recognised by any player, is that normal? I just wondered before I wasted several hours converting to DVD format.
    Quote Quote  
  7. No that's not normal. You must have done something wrong with mkvmergegui

Let's go back:

1) what kind of audio do you have in the original .mkv? use mediainfo (view=>text)
    Quote Quote