VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM

Hello, quietly going crazy here trying to figure out how to fix where menu buttons point to in a training video dvd that has split chapters and two titles. Using PGCedit. Have almost figured it out but stuck on the very last menu to change in title 2. Wondering it there are any experts on PGCedit that know this kind of thing? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why'd you write the same thing twice?

Open the DVD, right-click the menu and hit Menu Buttons to get to the Menu Buttons screen. That's where you change where they point when clicked. But you've given so few details that I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it.

Ordinarily you then click on the current command and hit Alphabetically in the new screen. If the title you want isn't in the current VTS, you usually go back to a VMGM PGC (JumpSS-VMGM-pgc) where you can then set up a command to jump to a title anywhere on the DVD. If it is in the current VTS, then you go Alphabetically->JumpVTS_PTT and give the title number and chapter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you manono, you are correct. I gave few details because I am new here and expected to be redirected to a more appropriate place for my question. Since you have responded about my question, I will write more, thank you. You want detail? lol. Please be patient if it seems I don't always know the exact technical name of something. I'm really doing the best I can.

You are also correct about the 'Alphabetically>JumpVTS_PTT and giving the title number and chapter'. I managed to stumble upon this process myself, after some help and trial and error. It has worked beautifully for Title 1 of my dvd. The problem is now, just when I thought I was home free...I had to also redirect the menus on Title 2. This did not go so well.

Perhaps this is because from your hint, I should be using JumpSS-VMGM-pgc? (After this note, I am going to go have a look and try.)

When I opened up the Command Editor for these menus, the Title number shown was still 1. And in fact, using the menu button on a software player would indeed redirect to Title 1. So...I thought no problem, just rename TTN (which I am under the impression is the Title number) to 2, along with changing the Chapter number. That actually worked for the first menu in Title 2, but...the weird thing is, doing the same thing for the second menu does not work. No matter what Chapter number I put in, when I use the software player, the menu button will always jump to Chapter 5 in Title 2,when it should jump to Chapter 8, or whatever other Chapter I tried. That is so weird.
    I don't understand why.

I should mention two other things I do not understand about this process in PGCedit. If you don't mind commenting on these.

1) Each time I use the Command Editor to change the panel under the menu display to 'JumpVTS_PTT', it displays the same Title and Chapter number from the last menu change until I change it manually. I'm guessing that this means the Command Editor options don't show you the actual current information for that menu? That they just provide a place to input editing information?

2) The other odd thing, at least to me, is that in the left panel of PGCedit, where it shows all the dvd information, (on the original and the newer split version) it will show Title 1 and Title 2, which is fine. But it lists both Title 1 and Title 2 as TTN1. (Ie. TTN1 - title 1 and TTN1 - title 2). I can't help but think that it should be TTN2 - title 2. Or perhaps it's just again because I don't understand the structure.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi-

I'm no expert using PGCEdit either, although, given all the time I play with it, I should be by now.
    No matter what Chapter number I put in, when I use the software player, the menu button will always jump to Chapter 5 in Title 2,when it should jump to Chapter 8, or whatever other Chapter I tried. That is so weird.
    I hope you've figured out how to use the Trace function by now. It's invaluable in helping to find out what your commands really do. If it doesn't go where it's supposed to, then run a trace and find where it's going wrong.
    Perhaps this is because from your hint, I should be using JumpSS-VMGM-pgc? (After this note, I am going to go have a look and try.)
    Like I said, that should only be necessary if the Title 2 is in a different VTS from the menu and from Title 1. And from your description, that doesn't seem to be the case. The only place where you can jump all over the place is in the VMGM. Any place else and you can only move around within the same VTS (or back into the VMGM). I think.

One of the nice things is the ability to reload the original IFOs if you make a mistake you can't fix. That's one reason to feel free to experiment so you can learn what it can do. I all the time change commmands just to see what it'll do, and then reload the backup and start fresh. It's hard to mess up a DVD beyond fixing.

1) Sorry, but I didn't understand that. Not because it wasn't clear, but I just didn't understand.

2). If both are the same TTN 1, then title 2 should continue the chapter numbering after the last chapter of Title 1, shouldn't it (and doesn't it)? And you shouldn't have any trouble with the chapters menus going to the correct chapter, or having the DVD play all the chapters in the correct order, I wouldn't think. But obviously you've already tried that, so I guess you are having trouble.

Look, about all I can suggest is going to the IFO/VOB Editors Forum of Doom9 where the developer and the real experts are to be found. Some of those guys can read IFOs and get to the bottom of your problems easily. Me, I can't read them and am left guessing, rather than being able to provide any definitive help. Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to last menu pgc, right click it and select new dummy pgc.
    Point your menu button at required title.
    Post command for this title will point to new dummy menu pgc.
    Then set new dummy pgc to return to where you need it to go

Example:

Play title 2 ends
    [30 08 00 3D 01 C0 00 00] 1 (CallSS) Call the VMGM PGC 61, resume cell 1
    (my title 2 ends using post command, returns to pgc 61 of vmgm, lu 1, within main menu)

Vmgm, lu 1, Pgc 61 pre-command to title 3, or where you want it to go
    [30 02 00 00 00 03 00 00] 1 (JumpTT) Jump to Title 3

Post command for title 3 returns to another pgc within VMGM, Lu 1 menu

====

For jumping to chapter points requires more work with IF's and SET, where a gprm numbers direct the flow

Use in menu pgc, the set command to set values that will be given for each chapter point
    Then direct to title affected
    Title pre area contains the Goto statements which point to another line to determine required action
    This action may be a jump to chapter point in title using LinkCN

Then theres cell actions you might want to include in the titles "cell command" area
    Double click on title, and where it says "cell cmd" , enter the correct line number which determines what to do next

===

Its all bells and whistles once its done

===

Of course you could export all the commands used for the project and post them in pgcedit, then we can see what goes where, and how you would go about solving the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you BJS and Manono. I'm afraid it is getting way too much over my head. I appreciate your help and time. I just don't know enough to make sense of what you guys are saying, a totally foreign language, I'm sorry. I'll bow out now. Cheers.
    Quote Quote