VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

I have a problem for which there may be a simple solution and I cant see the wood for the Trees.

I have a straight avi file which lasts about 4 minutes. I have stripped out the audio so as to keep things simple.
    I have also extracted the frames into bmp's

There are about 5000 frames but each one has no transitions.
    I am trying [and have been for the last 4 weeks now] to find a way of partially overlapping some of the frames so that say I want to overlap frame 26 at 85% through frame 25 so frame 25 is merged with frame 26 until fram 26 is viewd on its own.

I'm using Virtualdub [latest version] which does most things very well.

Does anyone have any advice to achieve this effect without resorting to AviSynth
    MikeN
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean when you say they have no transitions ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I think he means they currently have no transitions (such as dissolves) and he wants to add some.

This is very easy with Avisynth, which I was about to recommend until I saw that last sentence...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mpack
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I think he means they currently have no transitions (such as dissolves) and he wants to add some.

This is very easy with Avisynth, which I was about to recommend until I saw that last sentence...
    Sorry, what I mean is that no transitions between frames exist such as dissolves as mpack correctly interpreted.
    I've tried various script builders in Avisynth but sadly with a myriad of resulting errors so in frustration I 'm trying to find an alternative.
    However if Avisynth is a quick and easy fix can I add a script in say Notepad, rename the file .avs and run it from virtualdub?
    MikeN
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by keithnut
    However if Avisynth is a quick and easy fix can I add a script in say Notepad, rename the file .avs and run it from virtualdub?
    This is the only way I do it.
    Code:
    mpeg2source("myvideo.d2v")

V1=trim(0,500)
    V2=trim(501,1000)
    V3=trim(1001,1500)
    V4=trim(1501,0)

Vout=dissolve(V1,V2,V3,V4,20)
    I've not checked this, but something like this should work.

You could also do all this in Adobe Premiere.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, you can open the .avs in vdub

You can also do a similar effect with avidemux directly on the .avi with the built in fade filter (avidemux is a free visual editor/encoder, and behaves similar to vdub)

Using the "fade" filter, you can specify the start/end frames for each "fading" segment. You can fade in, fade out, or fade to black (eg. at the end of the clip)

Here is a small sample (1.6MB each); the "ironman.avi" is the "before" clip from the Iron Man Apple movie trailer. The "fade.avi" is the "after" clip and has 2 fade points

You have much more control in Premiere or Vegas, even avisynth, but this is just for a quick and easy free transition

Before
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jww2gwzmfvm

After
    http://www.mediafire.com/?xjn92ykxhzb
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Yes, you can open the .avs in vdub

You can also do a similar effect with avidemux directly on the .avi with the built in fade filter (avidemux is a free visual editor/encoder, and behaves similar to vdub)

Using the "fade" filter, you can specify the start/end frames for each "fading" segment. You can fade in, fade out, or fade to black (eg. at the end of the clip)

Here is a small sample (1.6MB each); the "ironman.avi" is the "before" clip from the Iron Man Apple movie trailer. The "fade.avi" is the "after" clip and has 2 fade points

You have much more control in Premiere or Vegas, even avisynth, but this is just for a quick and easy free transition

Before

After
    Thanks very very much for that. I have avidemux on board. I have followed your instruction and yes it works great,

Good Luck
    Mike
    MikeN
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Yes, you can open the .avs in vdub

Before

After
    How the hell you did this by Avidemux? When it has fade in, fade out, but no any crossfade? Could you please copy
    the **Filters** part of saved project, like this:

//** Filters **
    app.video.addFilter("fade","startFade=30","endFade =60","inOut=0","toBlack=0");
    app.video.addFilter("fade","startFade=60","endFade =90","inOut=1","toBlack=0");

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by bflmpsvz View Post

How the hell you did this by Avidemux? When it has fade in, fade out, but no any crossfade? Could you please copy
    the **Filters** part of saved project, like this:

//** Filters **
    app.video.addFilter("fade","startFade=30","endFade =60","inOut=0","toBlack=0");
    app.video.addFilter("fade","startFade=60","endFade =90","inOut=1","toBlack=0");

Thanks

Sorry I can't recall - this post was from a few years ago...I obviously don' t have this "project" saved. It was an old version of avidemux, maybe the 2.6.x branch has slightly different filters or functions
    Quote Quote