VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've searched the net for solutions and haven't found anything. perhaps I'm not describing my prblem correctly.
    Please forgive if this is to much info.

I have an HP DVD740 Lightscribe - This unit has worked perfectly since I got it last Christmas.
    Recently it stopped recognizing my blank media - I thought I had gotten a bad batch. So I tried a different brand

1. Maxell DVD-R
    2. Memorex DVD-R

I use Nero which keeps prompting me for a blank disk even though one is in. I uninstalled Nero and used the Cleantool to make sure it was gone.
    I then installed Imgburn - It states No Media present( not sure of exact verbiage)

Thinking maybe the drive was bad - I installed a Memorex DVD-Rewriter and it showed the same thing.
    BTW: I upgraded the firmware on both drives.

If I stick a Blank DVD-R in the Memorex drive - XP gives me the what do you want to do with options for CD recording (Audio CD, etc)

If I stick a store bought DVD movie in the Memorex drive - The movie starts and plays just fine.

I have CA Firewall and Virus protection which finds no issues. _ I'm completely lost anyone have any other suggestions on what to look for.

Thanks
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by steve1040
    If I stick a Blank DVD-R in the Memorex drive - XP gives me the what do you want to do with options for CD recording (Audio CD, etc)

If I stick a store bought DVD movie in the Memorex drive - The movie starts and plays just fine.
    Sound like normal functioning of "Autoplay" in XP to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check your drive if it's in UDMA MODE, it could be in PIO mode. Also your ide cable maybe failing, buy a new 80 wire ide cable. Lastly it maybe your HP dvd burner is dying a slow death.

Use the link below to check that your drive is in UDMA MODE.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/forums/how-enable-dma-windows-with-pictures-t7625.html

http://www.cdrlabs.com/forums/problems-enabling-dma-windows-t6645.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    XP has no native DVD burning support, so that much is normal.. Odd that ImgBurn didn't work though. Might I suggest trying a Verbatim DVD blank?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Tried a lens cleaner yet?

It's possible there is a filter conflict. Follow these instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

You'll probably have to re-install your burning software after deleting the filters. Worth a shot. Resist the urge to install multiple burning programs. :P
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just delete Upper & Lowerfilters if necessary.

Reinstalling a burnapp is not necessary.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote