VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I got a pretty weird question, is it possible to merge two different sources together at the same time?

I have a movie in fullscreen and i also got a widescreen print. Turns out the fullscreen looks better than the wide screen print, can i somehow put the fullscreen video inside the widescreen print and have the widescreen portions still show?
    Quote Quote  
  2. In theory, yes. Many video programs will let you overlay two videos. But in practice you'll probably run into many problems. One video may have scenes cut. One may be missing occasional frames. Colors may not match well. And full screen videos often pan-and-scan. The part of the frame you see isn't always the center of the wide screen frame. You may have to adjust the position of the full screen video within the wide screen video on a scene-by-scene basis.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the reply, it seems like a pain but im willing to dab into it just to test it out. What program can do this easily? I am hoping virtualdubmod and is there a guide out there i can read?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Maybe you didn't understand. If the fullscreen one is pan-and-scan as it almost certainly is, the "camera" moves from right to left (and can move in and out zooming) within the larger widescreen image so that the focus of attention is in the center. So there's no way, really, to line it up properly. If it were only cropped, then AviSynth's Overlay command could lay the fullscreen on top of the widescreen easily and you might get something decent out of it. NLEs can do the same.

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Overlay
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Layer

The layering part is easy. Moving the fullscreen video around so it displays properly on top of the widescreen video is nearly impossible. VDub can't do it at all (although it can encode from an AviSynth script frameserved into it). There's no guide (as far as I know) for what you want to do.
    Quote Quote  
  5. As manono points out, pan-and-scan can be dynamic as well as static. There are also movies where both the wide screen an full screen versions are pan-and-scans of a larger film frame. And some computer animated films have shots that are re-rendered with the characters and objects in different locations to best suit the aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. And some computer animated films have shots that are re-rendered with the characters and objects in different locations to best suit the aspect ratio.
    Hehe, I didn't even want to get into that - animated movies where the fullscreen version is a brand new image without much reference to the widescreen version. Or what about those fullscreen movies which are the same as the widescreen version, but with the mattes removed? So you get the same as the widescreen version, but with more information above and below.

But as far as I know, most of the ones with both Full and Wide screen on the same DVD use a pan and scan version for the fullscreen one. And that will be just about impossible to stick on top of the widescreen one and get anything useable out of it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. A few months ago someone posted a link to a site that had clips of the widescreen and full screen versions of some movie playing side by side. The widescreen video had a box overlaid that panned around indicating where the fullscreen version was cropped from. Can't find the post now...
    Quote Quote  
  8. No, it had videos playing side by side, not just stills.
    Quote Quote