VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong section of the forums.

Anyway, I'm using Sony Vegas 7.0 and I'm having some problems importing some AVI files. When I drag the file to the timeline, it only imports the audio track, and not the video track. I've checked around here and some people had the same problem. It was suggested that one could uninstall the Xvid coded or could try converting the AVI files to MPG using TMPGEnc but nothing worked.. TMPGEnc gives me an error when I try to open the AVI file to convert it.

So what can I do to solve this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Paulo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What does a codec-reporting utility such as MediaInfo say as to which video codec is used?

I would try AVIDEMUX to recode the file.

I'm a VEGAS user and have experienced this phenomenon also, and have corrected the problem by recoding. I would not go from a codec in the AVI container to MPG tho.

Cheers,

GA
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, first check the used codec.

Another fast step would be changing the fourCC to Divx - the most mentioned problems with avi-import to Vegas 7 were xvid problems.
    As this is non-destructive and fast: better than reencode a file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by geneaum
    What does a codec-reporting utility such as MediaInfo say as to which video codec is used?

I would try AVIDEMUX to recode the file.

I'm a VEGAS user and have experienced this phenomenon also, and have corrected the problem by recoding. I would not go from a codec in the AVI container to MPG tho.

Cheers,

GA
    Thanks GA,

I've been trying to figure out AVIDEMUX but not very successfully.. I opened my AVI file and now I don't get what I should do to simply recode it .. Any help? What I did was: on the drop-box "Video" I selected "DVD (mpeg2enc)" and on the "Audio" drop-box I left it as "Copy". It gives me an error message when I press the Save button: "Incompatible output format".

By the way, MediaInfo gives me this information:

1 video streams: M-JPEG
    1 audio streams: PCM (Microsoft)

thanks again,
    Paulo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NoBuddy
    Yes, first check the used codec.

Another fast step would be changing the fourCC to Divx - the most mentioned problems with avi-import to Vegas 7 were xvid problems.
    As this is non-destructive and fast: better than reencode a file.
    Ah, I also tried that, but didn't work.. As I later realized, the file is not an Xvid.

Thanks,
    Paulo
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mjpeg:
    as Windows normally reads these thru quartz.dll, try re-register quartz dll. Maybe there happened something unusual by uninstalling Xvid.
    (regsvr32 quartz.dll)

But there are different ways to make mjpeg, they´re not always the same ;-(
    Quote Quote