VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently purchased an SA 8300 HD/PVR from a family member in the States.
    I'm told that it will need recoding to work on/with Rogers Cable - which I'm
    currently connected to with one of their FREE trial HD/non PVR Cable Box's.

Can anyone out there help me with recoding information to work on Rogers.

Many Thanks, Musicmavern.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think what is meant by recoding is getting the appropriate software downloaded into the box. You would need to call Rogers and tell them that you've got a new box and it needs a download of the software.

In order to do that you'll need to provide some info to Rogers such as ensuring that you have a compatible box for their system, give them the ID number on the box so they can activate it and then download the software in order for them to track your future PPV orders and bill you accordingly.

I'm in Shaw territory and as of only recently they would allow us to hook up 3rd party boxes, now if the box is not bought from them or one of their authorized dealers, Shaw will not activate the box. So first, you'll need to check with Rogers if they allow you to activate your 3rd party box, of so, great, get them to download the software and you're in business.

If you are asking if this can be done clandestinely, I don't think that's possible in any way.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
    I think what is meant by recoding is getting the appropriate software downloaded into the box. You would need to call Rogers and tell them that you've got a new box and it needs a download of the software.

In order to do that you'll need to provide some info to Rogers such as ensuring that you have a compatible box for their system, give them the ID number on the box so they can activate it and then download the software in order for them to track your future PPV orders and bill you accordingly.

I'm in Shaw territory and as of only recently they would allow us to hook up 3rd party boxes, now if the box is not bought from them or one of their authorized dealers, Shaw will not activate the box. So first, you'll need to check with Rogers if they allow you to activate your 3rd party box, of so, great, get them to download the software and you're in business.

If you are asking if this can be done clandestinely, I don't think that's possible in any way.
    Many thanks for the advice. However, I feel that I'm paying $17.50 a month
    already for the use of their Movie Channel on top of $150 a month for
    other services - they shouldn't penalize me or others for using our own boxs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Agree, but sadly that's how the market is, at least in Shaw territory, not sure about Rogers. They might allow 3rd party boxes, maybe with a minimal admin. cost of $2/month for a second box as Shaw does.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Call me Paranoid, but I really feel that Cable Companies purpously play dumb if you try to
    activate a cable box that is not in their system or "inventory." The SA Explorer 8300 HD/PVR
    is a good case in point - widely used by Cable Companies around the world and made by Cisco
    Systems - these boxes are coded by these firms to only work in their "neck of the woods."

The trick then as I see it is to recode the box for use on your local cable company's network.

Ah there's the rub - does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks
    musicmavern.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not to state the obvious, but ...
    while there's no harm in asking here, perhaps a well worded search on Google/Yahoo would provide the answer you seek or a forum dedicated to the subject as surely there much be such a forum somewhere I would think. I cannot imagine that there's no way of getting this kind of info with people being interested in doing this to save some money. Those people just may not be here in these forums.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jman98
    Not to state the obvious, but ...
    while there's no harm in asking here, perhaps a well worded search on Google/Yahoo would provide the answer you seek or a forum dedicated to the subject as surely there much be such a forum somewhere I would think. I cannot imagine that there's no way of getting this kind of info with people being interested in doing this to save some money. Those people just may not be here in these forums.
    I guess your reply was stating the obvious

I will certainly take your advise though and check with these "mavens." I
    must confess it never occured to me to check this obvious suggestion

I'll certainly keep you posted too.

Best
    musicmavern
    Quote Quote