VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all

I currently own a Yamaha DVD-C750 5 disk DVD player and have had it for a while and am quite happy with it, one of the nice things about it for me being in the US is its great ability to handle PAL too.

Well I guess I should say I was happy with it until recently when I learned that it seems that it can't play a burned DL DVD's (at least that the concussion I've come to, if I'm wrong someone please let me know).

So I guess now I'm in the market for a new one as I suspect DL disk's will just be getting more frequent and since I have spent the money for a DL burner I really want to be able to use them on my standalone.

So does anyone have any advice on what would be the "best" multidisk (kinda a requirement) player I can get that is known to play burnt DL disks and would also have a good capability to handle PAL that has at least a 720x480 capability.

Thanks all

Edit: Well it looks like I may have found the solution to this problem. although I've only tested it with one disk so far (a Memorex one btw) I think I found the solution to this problem in that the problem was that my player would not recognize a disk burnt with a DVD-DL heading for the Book Type. I checked a few of my store bought DL disks that worked and despite being DL in setup and capacity they were all Book Typed as DVD-ROM's.

I then checked the disks I burnt and found that they had all been burn as DVD-DL.

Next I also found out that my player although listed here as being able to play DL disks is not listed as having that capability in the manual or the Yamaha website. I would suspect the people who reported that probably used or burned DL disks that were not Book Typed as such.

At any rate, even though it was a pain to figure out how to set up IMGBurn to burn the disk as a DVD-ROM (had to find out that my Sony Burner was actually a Samsung, then add its device ID under the Samsung part of the change Book Type settings, then changed a DVD-DL to burn as a DVD-ROM) once I did I was finally able to burn the disks as DVD-ROM and wallah it worked!!!!

Well I hope this helps others and I'm gonna see if I can add a review to the C750 with this info in it.

Thanks to all who help, everyone little bit by little bit help me figure this out so thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your post will probably get some of the "You don't know what you're doing" type responses typical for people with DL issues. Yes, there really are DVD players that won't play consumer burned DL discs no matter what you do. I have personally seen such players. For the best chance of success, make sure that you use only Verbatim DVD+R DL discs and burn with ImgBurn. Using any other burner or any other type of disc may introduce problems, so there might be some small chance that if you used, say, Sony discs and/or burned with Nero that one of those things is your real problem. Also, some crappy players do require that booktype be set on burned discs to play them successfully. I don't really keep up with that as neither I nor my family have DVD players with such issues, but if your burner can do what I think they call booktyping, set it to DVD-ROM. I have a vague memory that DVD+R DL discs are automatically set to this when burned, but as this is not a concern of mine I don't remember for sure.

I have no advice for multi-disc players. I owned one once some years ago by Apex and it was a bit of a pain to use. I've never had a big desire since then to own another one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Your post will probably get some of the "You don't know what you're doing" type responses typical for people with DL issues. Yes, there really are DVD players that won't play consumer burned DL discs no matter what you do. I have personally seen such players. For the best chance of success, make sure that you use only Verbatim DVD+R DL discs and burn with ImgBurn.
    Yeah I have gone that route in that I have used both the Verbatim DVD+R DL disks and the latest version of IMGBurn (using the specified DL instructions from IMGBurns website form) and still nogo

That's why I, at least at this point, I suspect that the player can't play Burnt DL disks. Each time I try I get a "No Disk" response.

Also, some crappy players do require that booktype be set on burned discs to play them successfully. I don't really keep up with that as neither I nor my family have DVD players with such issues, but if your burner can do what I think they call booktyping, set it to DVD-ROM. I have a vague memory that DVD+R DL discs are automatically set to this when burned, but as this is not a concern of mine I don't remember for sure.
    Actually thats a new piece of info for me, the burner I am using is a true Sony DRU-840A on my PC using Windows XP Pro with all updates including SP3, do you have any info for me as to how I can check if this is being done to the burn?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Imgburn, check under tools, settings, write. It should say "Auto Change Book Type" and be checked off. This is for the latest version 2.4.2.0.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13
    In Imgburn, check under tools, settings, write. It should say "Auto Change Book Type" and be checked off. This is for the latest version 2.4.2.0.
    Actually I took a look at that and even tried to change it but anytime I try to burn the DVD, it tells me I have to change it to build mode, and I can't seem to figure out a way to get it to burn without it being Booktyped as DVD+DL, also just ot note, that box gives a popup that states it only applies to certain burners.

If anyone has a why to let me burn a DL disk in IMGBurn and booktype it as just a regular DVD I would very much like to knwo as I think this may be my problem.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think your answer may lie in the link below. Try it and post back with your results.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=3623&hl=booktype

Good Luck!

TTWC
    "I've got a present for ya!" - TTWC
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TaoTeWingChun
    I think your answer may lie in the link below. Try it and post back with your results.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=3623&hl=booktype

Good Luck!

TTWC
    Yeah thanks TaoTeWingChun, I had found that info an it let me to the solution, I posted my fix in my first post above.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad that the problem was easily fixed, but it's complete b.s. that your DVD player requires this. You need a better player for sure.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I'm glad that the problem was easily fixed, but it's complete b.s. that your DVD player requires this. You need a better player for sure.
    Yeah I'm a little surprised at this with a Yamaha player too but I will say that this player is a few years old even though they still have it listed as one of its current models but its defiantly something I will be sure to look for in the future.

I'm thinking as there probably isn't that much of a call for multidisk players to begin, with the way technology advances with this stuff, to keep updating those players with new models on a regular basis with all the latest things probably doesn't provide the same profit margin that it does with the single player lines to warrant coming out with new ones.

And don't forget the model wasn't listed by Yamaha to be able to play DL disks so I really can't complain to much when it didn't.

Anyway I'm just glad I was able to figure out a workaround for this as well as now I know if I get a production DL disk and it won't play and I see it is booktyped as a DL at least I'll know why.
    Quote Quote