VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

So I capture video at 60 fps (can't capture at 30 fps). I'd like to scale the video down to 30 fps (skip every other frame... do whatever). I'm able to do so in virtualdub, but the audio gets all messed up. I would be more specific... but there really aren't words to describe it :P.

Anyways, I was wondering how I can say maybe convert to 30 fps by processing every other frame and keep the audio in sync.

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    best to find out why you can't cap at 30
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    are you sure it's 60 frames per second and not 60 fields per second, if it's fields per second this is correct for NTSC, no conversion needed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AIPTEK cameras capture at 60fps, I have the same problem myself. So do some mobile phones.

I do a fast frame convertion with virtualdub when that is needed. I also keep the original as raw data, until a good solution appears. There are some solutions already out there, but they are far from perfect in my opinion (always).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Make sure you change the frame rate in the correct section of VirtualDub's frame rate dialog:

This will simply throw away every other frame and create a 30 fps video.

You can do the same with AviSynth's ChangeFPS(30) or SelectEvery(2, 0).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Make sure you change the frame rate in the correct section of VirtualDub's frame rate dialog:

This will simply throw away every other frame and create a 30 fps video.

You can do the same with AviSynth's ChangeFPS(30) or SelectEvery(2, 0).
    In virtualdub, that still desyncs the audio for me.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by kelcey
    In virtualdub, that still desyncs the audio for me.
    Did you get the VBR audio warning when you opened the source video? What version of VirtualDub are you using? Starting around 1.7.something the VBR audio issue was fixed (it still gives a warning). Get the latest stable build (1.8.0 I think) if you don't have a recent version.

If your audio is off by a fixed amount over the entire video you can use the audio skew function to shift it forward or backward (under Audio -> Interleaving).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any live 480p or 720p broadcast will be 59.94 frames per second. 480i and 1080i will be 59.94 fields per second (29.97 frames per second). All update motion at the 59.94 rate.

If you drop the 480p or 720p frame rate to 29.97, the video will appear just as choppy as if you viewed just one field of 480i or 1080i.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let me see if I can create some very short clips. I'll overly compress the video so it'll be a tiny download.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kelcey
    Let me see if I can create some very short clips. I'll overly compress the video so it'll be a tiny download.
    Huh? You want tiny? For download?
    Tell us more.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant I'm going to create 2 clips. One will be the original 60 fps. One will be converted 30 fps. I'm going to compress them a lot so they're easy to download.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. So I've gotten it to work using SelectEvery(2,0) in avisynth. Thanks jagabo.

I actually tried changeFPS late last night... but maybe I mistyped it because some error popped up and I was tired. But selectevery works beautifully. Anyways, to let you know what happens when I use virtualdub convert to fps... the audio either just gets mangled (sounds like it slows down... maybe a mix of audio from various places?) or it just drops audio completely. I also didn't get the VBR warning. But anyways, I'm using MeGUI with avisynth now and it's working very well.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    Quote Quote