VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, been meaning to get an i.LINK cable and got one the other day. Was ready to capture but my computer doesn't detect it. I have a Dell Inspiron and it supports the DV port (1394). My camcorder is a Sony DCR-TRV280 and also has the port. So its 4-pin-to-4-pin. But my computer doesn't detect it like it detects USB. I tried using movie maker, Sony Vegas, Virtualdub and they all don't detect it. I'm thinking its a driver problem. The IEEE appears in the device manager as RICOH OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller. My computer's OS is also Vista(32-bit). But does anyone know of a solution to this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. it's not a miniDV camera. i think you had to use the usb port and the sony software that came with it to transfer to a computer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How come it has the port on the camcorder?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DCR-TRV280 is a Digital8 camcorder so it should work with IEEE-1394 just like a MiniDV camcorder.

Try it on another computer to make sure the cable works and the port isn't fried.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, before we get to another system it is suggested by sony that you might need updated drivers, even thou the os supports it, so go here first and have another go.

You also might want to check the actual cable required is in fact a 4pin to 4pin ... wrong cable means nothing happens.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was there suppose to be a link in your post Bjs? But yeah, the cable is 4-pin-to-4-pin because that's what the notebook and camcorder supports and that's what it said when I bought the item. To whoever is familiar with firewire, when you connect devices using IEEE cables, is the computer suppose to detect it? Someone said it does, another said it doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  7. sorry guess i was wrong, it does support firewire, in the middle of this page is sony's link to what to do if the cam isn't recognized by the computer.
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=DCRTRV280&LOC=3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shabaman
    Was there suppose to be a link in your post Bjs? But yeah, the cable is 4-pin-to-4-pin because that's what the notebook and camcorder supports and that's what it said when I bought the item. To whoever is familiar with firewire, when you connect devices using IEEE cables, is the computer suppose to detect it? Someone said it does, another said it doesn't.
    XP and Vista are supposed to detect a DV IEEE-1394 connection. You usually get a two beep audio and autoplay window comes up like this. You should also see the camcorder as a source in Windows Movie Maker and other programs like WinDV, Premiere, Vegas, etc.

At the camcorder end, it needs to be in VCR or "play" mode for external device control. Most camcorders feed live video and audio in "camera" mode.

If this isn't working verify the camcorder and cable aren't faulty by testing on another computer with XP or Vista. Use Windows Movie Maker or WinDV to test.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'm just now replying back because I had to order another cable (and its from Hong Kong so it took like 2 weeks). And just as I expected, this one doesn't work either. I'm more led to believe its a computer problem more than a cable problem now. I did what you said with the first cable and tried it on my friend's computer with his camcorder. The computer did not detect it in any way. Are there certain drivers required for this? I would really like to know.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeh, sorry for that, me thinks I had a brain freeze, lol

4 pin to 4 pin must have the camera powered up by external source prior to connecting to system, or nothing happens.

The 6 pin cable provides power, and is a better option when detecting the device being connected.

Follow manufacturers advice on connect and removal to protect both camera and system.

1: Connect camera to external power source
    2: Connect cable to camera, then system
    3: Set appropriate mode of operation on camera
    4: NOW, turn the system on

Do not do this any other way, as camera will not be repaired under warranty should it be damaged.

1: System should detect device
    2: Go and grab all the video using which ever application you prefer.
    3: Close program when done
    4: Shut system down
    5: Turn camera off
    6: Disconnect cable from system, then camera

Return to normal operations and edited the already imported video to your liking.

You might wish to update the cameras software > http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=DCRTRV280&
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    XP and Vista support DV format and IEEE-1394 natively. For XP, best to update to at least SP2 and DirectX9.0c.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs
    Yeh, sorry for that, me thinks I had a brain freeze, lol

4 pin to 4 pin must have the camera powered up by external source prior to connecting to system, or nothing happens.

The 6 pin cable provides power, and is a better option when detecting the device being connected.

Follow manufacturers advice on connect and removal to protect both camera and system.

1: Connect camera to external power source
    2: Connect cable to camera, then system
    3: Set appropriate mode of operation on camera
    4: NOW, turn the system on

Do not do this any other way, as camera will not be repaired under warranty should it be damaged.

1: System should detect device
    2: Go and grab all the video using which ever application you prefer.
    3: Close program when done
    4: Shut system down
    5: Turn camera off
    6: Disconnect cable from system, then camera

Return to normal operations and edited the already imported video to your liking.

You might wish to update the cameras software > http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=DCRTRV280&
    Hmm I was sure that would work. PC just doesn't seem to detect it. Just wanna say that I never installed any drivers for this camcorder on the Vista PC. I heard DV detects it without drivers so I never installed any(plus I lost
    my discs). The external power source is basically the charger, right? Too bad the computer and camcorder weren't 6-pin-to-6-pin. My computer DOES have the IEEE listed under the device manager so I don't know what the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
  13. 4 pin to 4 pin is all the data lines. 6 pin to 4 pin adds nothing as 2 wires are not connected at all. 6 pin to 6 pin adds the power supply lines, only useful for unpowered devices, not cams.

it's looking like the cam has a bad firewire port. it happens. the metal plug insert is only soldiered onto the circuit board and can break.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, that would be disappointing if it were true. How would I know the port is bad?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, that would be disappointing if it were true. How would I know the port is bad?
    Test a different camcorder on your computer or test your camcorder on a different computer.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't work on my friends PC neither. It has to be the cable then. But two broken cables? It did sound kinda strange to have these cables for $4 online but $30 in the store. This is the website I bought it from if this makes sense.

http://www.eastmaze.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=61
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't work on my friends PC neither. It has to be the cable then. But two broken cables? It did sound kinda strange to have these cables for $4 online but $30 in the store. This is the website I bought it from if this makes sense.

http://www.eastmaze.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=61
    Doubt it. How do you know the camcorder isn't broken? Can you test another DV camcorder?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt BOTH camcorders have faulty DV ports. I don't know anyone else who has those camcorders. This is frustrating.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I got sent another cable but this time, on the camcorder, it says "DV In" so the camcorder detects the cable. The computer still does not. So the camcorder has to be fine. Would anyone mind continuing on this matter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, if the cam displays dv in, it is recognizing the firewire connection. what happens if at this point you start the winDV program and click the square button to the right of video source?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry but where would this WinDV program be?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Click on it's name in aedipuss' or your post, it'll take you right to the Tool page for it, where you'll see the download link & other info.

Neat feature of the forum
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, there seems to be something happening. I downloaded WinDV and turned on my camcorder. Soon as that happen, my computer responds and says its downloading a device driver. It finishes but the screen on WinDV is still black. I click the square next to video source and its only the only option that says "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR". Might also wanna add this is a Vista PC BTW.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you try the winDV "capture" button after it detected the camera?
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oh and you might need to reboot first, after the driver was installed.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I click the square next to video source and its only the only option that says "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR".
    That's correct, and good sign, means the driver is installed correctly and both the OS & WinDV detect the camera. Putting the camera in "play" or "VCR" mode should then give you a picture. To completely test everything, then press "Play" on your camera and then the "Capture" button in WinDV - it should indicate it's capturing (transferring, really) the video.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, its actually working now. I was expecting a preview from the camcorder in the black box but I had to press play for it to appear. And its all there. Thanks for all the help.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I click the square next to video source and its only the only option that says "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR". Might also wanna add this is a Vista PC BTW.
    It's detected the camcorder then, that is what it will identify it as. As has been said, put the camcorder in VCR mode and press play and you should be up and running. As it's a Vista pc, can't help much more as I'm firmly sticking with XP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Normally you would use the manual camcorder controls and manually hit "capture" but if you put a check mark in the box next to the capture button, WinDV will cue, preroll and start capture at the frame where the camcorder was parked before hitting the capture button.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got one last question though. How come WinDV splits the video into parts while it transfers?
    Quote Quote