VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello to every one, this is my first time posting here and thanks in advance for your consideration.

I bought a hard drive & SD camcorder principally to video my golf swing and use Golf Swing Analysis software. Unfortunately, the software requires the video to be in avi format and not in mpeg format, and that your golf swing be captured thru a firewire connection and recorded onto your PC. My camcorder has a USB connection, and nonetheless I have been videoing my golf swing and converting the files to avi for software analysis – the video has been less than impressive and I am wondering the following:

Is there software out there that I can use that will allow me to view the mpeg files in slow motion…. When I set the camcorder on medium to fastest shutter speed (1/8000) I notice no appreciable difference in the quality of the video - I am wondering if the conversion to AVI negates my shutter speed settings…

When connected to a fast computer with lots of ram – a frewire connection to my PC –how good would the video picture be…. How many fps – typically… assuming I have my shutter speed at 1/4000 (I am considering a second camcorder with the above shutter speed)

Many thanks,

Jamesh
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Slow motion is not about shutter speed, but frame per second. A faster shutter speed means less movement during frames, which should equate to less motion blur and therefore less interlacing, however you still only get 29.970 fps. To get appreciable slow motion, you need to film at around 120 - 160 fps, then play it back at 29.970
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can use VirtualDub to step through frames one by one. The latest version also has a bob filter so you can view field by field (29.97 fps interlaced video from the camcorder contains 60 different fields per second).
    Quote Quote