VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there. I am brand new to this web site. I have done SOME research before coming here, like using Google and all that. There are a LOT of url's and such that come up when using Google, but after clicking on over 10 of these, and reading on web sites about this model of dvd player (Philips DVD player DVP642), I still have not found the exact answer that I am looking for. So, here we go:

Fist off, I want to say that I love this player, but can be very tricky ! For example, if you see a garbled picture, you need to hit the "system menu" button TWICE and it fixes it. It doesn't show that in the Operator's Manual! Now, to my question. Sometimes, when I put a CD-R in the player, with an .avi file it will automatically play the movie without showing the start-up menu (with the title(s) of the movie on it) , and then you have to click "ok" to play the movie. However, when it AUTOMATICALLY plays the movie, the screen size on the screen is FULL screen, or very close to full screen. I like that very much! However, it does not do that all the time. Sometimes, right after you power up, it brings that menu up, and then i have to click on "ok" and it plays. NOW, when that happens, the screen size is reduced to only show the movie in widescreen edition, AND it is only 1/3 of the screen size... so the movie is so tiny, even on a 32" TV. Please help me fix this problem. Like i said before, when the movie plays right away, after hitting the power button on (assuming you have the disc in already) then it plays fine. Thank you.
    JUSTIN
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try the zoom button on the remote.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I have tried the zoom. I knew that would come up This is much more trickier than that. The zoom actually makes the picture too big (it has only one zoom, either x2 or x4, but it is not what i am talking about. I might just have a defective dvd player, but i do not believe so, because there are other people that have similar situations, like the one i mentioned about the garbled pic (hitting the menu button twice).
    JUSTIN
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, what I meant to say about the ZOOM feature... i just checked it again on the dvd player, and it has only ONE zoom and that is x2. BUT, when you do it, it ZOOMS in on only the CENTER of the movie, so all you see of the movie is the very center, just blown up bigger.
    Hopefully someone out there knows what is happening and how to fix this! I may just have to keep going thru all the Google searches and hope to get lucky.
    JUSTIN
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What program are you using to create these AVI files?
    What is the mid code of the discs you are using?
    Sounds like your player is having a hard time reading these.
    I have the same player in my closet. I'll have to take it out and try it.
    This is an old player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dialysis1a
    What program are you using to create these AVI files?
    What is the mid code of the discs you are using?
    Sounds like your player is having a hard time reading these.
    I have the same player in my closet. I'll have to take it out and try it.
    This is an old player.
    Program using: Roxio (also have nero)
    Mid code: Not sure what that means, but I am using Memorex 52x 700MB 80 min discs
    How to find out the Mid code? Anyways, i do not believe it is the discs itself, because it reads everything i have ever put on them (jpg's, mp3's, avi's, mpgs, etc..), but i could be wrong. Yeah, try out the player and maybe you can find something i couldn't. Also, i have the (800) phone number for Philips, and I am about to call them...however i feel that you guys on this website will probably be of more help to me then those guys will.
    JUSTIN
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I couldn't duplicate the problem you're having.
    Try giving the player and the discs a real good cleaning.
    Trying some better media would be a good idea also.
    Open the AVI files with GSpot and report the information here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The aspect ratio gets jacked if your AVI dimensions are greater than 640x368 on the DVP-642
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmm. that is very interesting. i am going to try a few things today and get back to both of you dialysis1a and soopafresh. thank you all for your input!
    JUSTIN
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    soopafresh, your diagnostics are correct.. my avi specs are greater than 640x368 on the discs that sometimes play on large screen, and sometimes play on widescreen. when i d/l movies that have 640x360 , everything seems to fine (full screen). thank you all for your help and support !!!
    I really appreciate it !!
    JUSTIN
    Quote Quote