VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If i ever sell my ps3 with the harddrive installed in it now-Is there any way i can erase stuff and noone can ever bring it back...cause i know with certain tools you can pretty much always bring the stuff back but i wanna know for sure if i can really delete it all the way before i sell it or before i even add anything to my ps3 harddrive and if you can do this how?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can usually bring it back...but only if it hasn't been overwritten
    I use killdisk a few times...should do it
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks you,i was pretty sure that in the manual "full format" didnt really mean it wouldn't come back...i might just stay away from it all together.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did some searching using google and found the following:

http://www.heidi.ie/node/6

This is a freeware program that works with MS Windows that will erase a HDD using several methods that all sound very good to me. Not that I'm an expert but then again that is what makes google so great.

Only problem ... will have to take the HDD out of the PS3 and hook it up to a computer running MS Windows although I'm sure there are similar tools for the Mac and Linux etc.

Anyway when done you can put the HDD back into the PS3 and let it then reformat and you will have a clean system you can sell or give to someone else with piece of mind.

Although I love my PS3 so why you would want to get rid of yours is beyond me ...

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    Here is another one I found that seems to be "highly rated": http://dban.sourceforge.net/

YouTube video about using dban: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVw49laTG9U
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright thanks,Maybe i'll check into that sometime...i just don't want personal stuff geting into anyones hands and i am not eally thinking about selling my ps3...it was just an IF thing,can't wait to play GTAIV online since i beat it now! woot!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm not sure how PS3's work but....couldn't you just load the same large, harmless file over and over again until you completely fill it...then format?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you could do soemthing like that hech but there is still no guarintee that you will really rid the hdd of everything...
    Quote Quote