VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Epson R220 on the way out. The yellow head is starting to plug up. Can heads the actually be cleaned? Really? I get the vibe from VH that once they start to go you are just wasting your time trying to un-plug the nozzles over and over again. I have already put a new R220 in it's place. My question is should I even try fixing this one or just toss it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can buy and use cleaning cartridges...
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do cleaning carts actually work? Or will the head just plug up again after a short period of time. Has anyone actuall cleaned a head and then not had another problem with that color plugging up?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used a cotton swab with alcohol to clean a head on an R220. Coincidentally, it was also a yellow head. Worked like a charm...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    denatured alcohol - if you need a large quantity - use a cleaning cartridge, or a syringe.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do not run more than three cleaning cycles in a row without a nozzle check fails
    to clear the blockage, don't do any more cleanings without printing
    something. Too many cleanings can permanently damage the head.

Buy the device linked below from InkRepublic or inksupply or use a
    needleless syringe filled with a quality pigment ink solvent.

There are some cleaning tools that can help you to get rid of blockages.

http://www.inkrepublic.com/iRemove.asp
    http://www.inkrepublic.com/KnowledgeBase/iRemove.asp
    http://inksupply.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=9

The InkRepublic i-Remove system may be safer than others and it's highly recommeded.

hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I soak my Canon i320 printhead in ammonia. It's resuscitated my printheads a number of times.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Epsons have been notorious since day one for their "insta-clog" printheads. For the graphics pros who love the pricier Epsons, nothing else comes close to the quality and they of course get rave reviews from professional designers and photographers. But "pro" and "home" usage patterns are different: the "pros" print at least half a dozen edge-to-edge pages per day, and as long as an Epson printhead is used every day for a couple pages, it won't clog, which is why "pros" seldom bitch about Epson heads clogging.

For the "home" user Epson is another story entirely. They are the worst possible choice if all you want to do is print a DVD label once in a while. The heads will clog like cement soon after you replace the cartridges that came with it, and you'll blow thru 3/4 of a cartridge cleaning the heads before each occasional print session. Very wasteful of time, money and ink and annoying as hell. If you feel the Epson is the only printer that can satisfy your needs, you MUST get in the habit of printing one full-color page per day with it to keep it "in shape", or it will start clogging up. Depending on the printer model, one 4x6 photo print per day will keep it limber, others may need to print an entire letter-size page once a day, you can use draft mode for that.

For the amount of actual color printing the typical "home" user does, cleaning systems and alchohol wipes become ineffective after awhile. When an Epson clogs, IT CLOGS. I mean it really dies. Its ridiculous to put yourself and your wallet thru that unless you have no other choice. You're better off with a printer that replaces the heads with every cartridge, like the older HP models. After years of frustration with Epsons, I recently picked up a five year old HP5150 DeskJet. It cost me $20 and came with one-third full black and color cartridges still in it. I printed about 20 pages in full color before the ink ran out, when I removed the cartridges I was *stunned* to see they had actually expired in 2005! That's unheard of with an Epson: you leave an Epson unused for a month, and even a full cartridge becomes landfill. Try another brand that has the heads in the cartridge, not the printer. If your only use for an Epson is its disc printing feature, you may be happier with a dedicated color disc printer. While pricier than a typical inkjet, the money you'll save by not burning thru Epson inks will pay for a disc printer in no time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Pretty much the same reason I switched to an HP for my printer of choice. It also prints to DVDs.

I now have a R200 and R220 gathering dust

If you're curious, here's the HP I have
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic351765.html
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the info. I'm not going to mess with fixing it. When the R220's were being phased out a few years ago I bought 4 printers for about $100 a pop. I took out the carts and sold them on ebay for about $50 a set. The R220 that just went bad has given me good service. I print between 400 and 500 discs a month. I'm now using printer #2 of 4. I'm good for years. The carts are cheap and were manufactured prior to the "change" date for chip compatibility problems.

Thanks for the tip on cleaning more than three times. Printers are always an issue. Cost of printers, cost of carts, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Currently my yellow is not working. It stopped printing yellow during a print of 10 pictures. I have the r300 epson. I just recieved my bottle of solution and a syringe to try to unclog it if that be the problem. I probably got lucky up to now that my heads did not clog up sooner. I ,ve had this printer for quite some time and I bought it for dvd printing mainly. I did get side tracked for awhile, say 6 months, and the r300 sat without any use. I have a friend which wants to sell me his r300 so I do have a backup option if I cannot get it going again. I have another printer, HP, and it is broke down also, so I am without a printer...two printers down, not good. I am in the process of ordering an HP with cd/dvd printing options.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, guy's I too have an Epson Stylus Photo R220 with a plugges black nozzle. I like that I was able to get generic ink cartridges for $2. The quality wa good but I have constantly had problems with some cartridges. I bought a Chip Resetter and that solved that issue. I would like to upgrade to something new. I would like to be able to print color and black and white, fax, scan and copy. With that being said, I would like to be able to buy generic cartridges for it. Most printer manufacturers sell good printer cheap, but they set the hook in you for the ink cartridges. Any suggestions? Drop me an email at jimmybecnel@cox.net.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    don't grave rob dead old threads, from now on start your own unless you are adding to a current one. and unless you really like receiving junk mail don't ever put your email address in a forum thread.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try the SSSC tool first, also when you get the infamous "bring your printer to an epson repair centre" and "some parts on this printer have reached their end of life" crappo fake messages.
    http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

If its something about the waste ink pad, try guides like this:
    http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=3016&t=workshop_replace_waste_ink_tanks_of...son_c_d_models
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote