VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bought the harddrive from someone who said it was new but they tested it to see if it worked and i put it in the ps3 and from what i read about installing new hdd to the ps3 when i turn it on the ps3 should ask me to format it,But instead it says

"connect the controller using a usb cable.And then press the ps button." once that is done it takes me to this part and says this "the system software cannot be run correctly.press the ps button to try to restart the system.if the system cannot be restarted.the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.17 or later.and then press the start and select buttons at the same time,for more information on how to obtain update data,refer to the SCE website for your region"

I typed it all out...i pressed the button to restart it and the same thing happens and no options to format or anything...any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.17 or later.and then press the start and select buttons at the same time.

You can download the system updates from the $ony site and burn them to a CD.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah i figured that much out but do you know if i am suppose to burn it as a data dvd/cd ect? or some other format?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nope, I get the updates directly. Their site does have directions though.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which update should i get because i have read several errors about the new 2.40 and 2.17 seemed to be fine in the past for me...also a friend is gonna do this by memory stick so i need to get some full instructions for this so i know EXACTLY how to do this since it will be like a one chance type of thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2.40 is not available AT ALL. get 2.41, mine works great with it.
    full instructions are on the official Playstation site.
    Quote Quote