VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I understand Pioneer will be coming out with a Blu-ray/SACD combo player either later this year or early next year. I was thinking of waiting til it comes out instead of purchasing their flagship DV-58AV SD universal player. However, not much of my DVD collection has been remastered for Blu-ray. I live in the U.S.A. and I have a lot of Region 2 Pal DVDs in my collection. Yet, I have not found any successful multi-region hacks for SD DVD playback using Blu-ray players. Has anyone been successful hacking their Blu-ray player? If so, what brand and model? If not, I think I am just going to pull the trigger on the Pioneer I mentioned. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing I've heard of are some expensive (add $300 to the price) hardware mods on a couple of players that let them play zone A & B BluRay discs and region 1 & 2 DVDs. I am not aware of any hacks that consumers can do themselves to turn any BluRay players into multi-region DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I guess that does it for Blu-ray for me. As soon as my third and final piece of junk Yamaha DVD-C750 finally becomes inoperable, I will pull the trigger on the DV-58AV (aka the DV-800AV) and apply that world famous IR multi-region hack to it. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You might also check Oppo (http://www.oppodigital.com). Their players are highly regarded and honestly you could probably get a player from them that's just good as an expensive Pioneer model for less money. By the way, their players can all easily be "hacked" into multi-region mode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the headsup! I considered Oppo. However, my family still uses a CRT with Composite inputs (bummer). The Oppo's SACD playback is converted to PCM before it reaches the 5.1-channel analog pre-output jacks, making its HDMI 1.2A pure SACD output useless in my situation. Also, I have heard that it has $40 build quality and would prefer not to ship it across the country if it breaks or something. However, the Pioneer Elite DV-58AV (aka the DV-800AV) keeps SACD in its native format via both analog and HDMI 1.2A, making me prepared for both the present and the future. Both the Pioneer and the Oppo use the MediaTek for video, making them both equal quality performers as far as video is concerned. Also, I have used a Pioneer player before, and I am highly impressed with its build quality., which gives me the assurance that I won't have to ship it out for quite a long time after I have owned it. As an added bonus, I can even ship it to an authorized service center in my neck of the woods, helping to cut the shipping cost.
    Quote Quote