VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so i went on a couple vacations and want to put together a blu-ray version and (or) dvd version of the footage i took. BUTTTT before i do that i want to edit it all up, put music to it and some subtitles narration etc..

Camera is a Canon Vixia HF100

and i am trying to use Sony Vegas 8.0 pro

I am a complete noob at all this HD stuff, but i want to get the files working in Vegas so i can edit them and then burn them. What do i need to do?

When i try importing it (after i import the files to my hard drive from the camera) Vegas will say its an unknown format or incompatible etc.. the files are .MTS

any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for the reply, i understand that walk through its very informative, however i have heard of people editing the MTS file directly from the camera to vegas with out converting anything, is this possible?
    Quote Quote  
  3. maybe they had a sony camera?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's it. Vegas is still Sony-centric, to the detriment of other camera owners. I guess they think it'll contribute to sales of Sony camcorders or something.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok so i did the walkthrough, i installed the lagarith codec, when i played the avi on windows media player it was very slow and choppy, and the sound was very very stuttery, and a 14mb MTS file thats like 5 seconds long turned into a 1gb AVI file... is that normal lol?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Canon HF100 and am able to import AVCHD (.mts/m2ts) files into Vegas 8b no problem. I just plug the camera into my computer via USB, the bundled Pixela ImageMixer automatically detects the camera and imports the files as m2ts files. I can import these directly into Vegas 8b.

The biggest issue for me though is how to render the files from Vegas after I'm done editing. I've tried every conceivable option, trying different combinations of codecs (Xvid, Lagarith, CineForm, NTSC DV, NTSC DV Widescreen), templates (HDV 720, 1080, etc), frame sizes (HD 1080, HDV 720, NTSC DV), and video types (.avi, .m2t, .mpg) and every rendered file has its own problems, whether its serious degradation in quality, obvious interlacing issues, or causing crazy things to happen with my computer screen (22 inch Dell, highest res is 1680x1050).

I've also messed with the deinterlace method and tried rendering as progressive rather than interlaced. Still no luck.

Can anyone provide guidance regarding the appropriate type/frame rate/codec/etc to render the edited Vegas content? Is it better to first convert the mts files to avi with an Avisynth/VirtualDub solution, then import into Vegas?

Thanks!

RK
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Dont take this the wrong way as I am not trying to be an ass, but such topics have already been covered on this site on this forum. I would suggest that you post your questions in one of those threads after reading through the posts. This way a good thread of useful information is available to people who come after us and would like to get the same questions answered. It is better to keep such similar questions/answers/information confined to as few a thread as possible. I find it easier to get answers with one-stop shopping instead of searching a topic and find 10-15 threads covering the same thing, but you end up reading all 15 because the information is spread out over all the threads. Just a thought that I think would benefit all users.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i've read this board extensively and am still coming up with these kinds of questions... i thought that in a less populated and popular thread that my question might be more noticed, given that the initial poster set the tone for basic questions.

in reading through the posts on this board, i've noticed that some posters have more patience than others for us beginners, and are actually willing to answer the same questions over and over again simply because they like to help people. this board is lucky to have those kinds of people... many don't.

if you could point me to any threads that answer the questions above, i'd be most grateful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, I see what you mean. Soopafresh, one of the posters above is pretty knowledgeable about such things. I dont know any threads that I can point you to immediately, but one suggestion is maybe click on Soopafresh's name and see some of the threads he has posted in concerning related topics. Or maybe someone will just jump into this thread and provide some useful answers for you

As to your problems, please provide more information. Like what settings you used and with what codec. Just kind of lay out everything you did in the process. That way we can give you some useful feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After a lot of experimenting, I've found that the best output settings in Vegas for edited AVCHD (mts) files are either the MainConcept AVC (mp4) or MPEG-2 (mpg) types, with the settings at 1920x1080 resolution, progressive scan, and 2-pass VBR (10 mbps avg, 14 mbps max). These both yield relatively small files and the quality of the movie is excellent.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I also have a Canon HF100 and I used Vegas Pro 8.0b to edit without any problem. IIRC, Vegas does not support AVCHD until the version 8.0b so if you are using the version 8.0a, you might want to update your software.
    Quote Quote