VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few videos in .vob extension, but I know I need .bup and .ifo files for able to burn on a disc. Does anyone know how?
    Quote Quote  
  2. How did you get the VOBs? All VOBs come with IFO and BUP files. DVDs can't play without them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded them, it was in .vob
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use IfoEdit to recreate the IFO and BUP files. A BUP is a backup of the IFO files and the IFO files include information such as chapters, subtitle tracks and audio tracks. The VOB files contain the actual movie, subs and audio tracks.

See 'WHAT IS' DVD to the upper left on this page for a explanation of the structure, format and technical info about a DVD. You can also re-author the VOBs to create a DVD from them. A program like GUI for dvdauthor or similar can do that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I add the video and audio file and then pressed OK, it popped out a note sating IfoEdit has encounter a problem (pop-up which saids "send error report" and "Don't send").
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by showmi
    I have a few videos in .vob extension, but I know I need .bup and .ifo files for able to burn on a disc. Does anyone know how?
    Run them through FixVTS.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can try IfoEdit and FixVTS, but I suppose we should warn you that they may not work. I tried to do this once in IfoEdit and it failed. Don't hold your breath that FixVTS will do the job.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    You can try IfoEdit and FixVTS, but I suppose we should warn you that they may not work. I tried to do this once in IfoEdit and it failed. Don't hold your breath that FixVTS will do the job.
    I've only tried this a handful of times, but it hasn't failed me yet.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Is it mandatory to have .IFO files and .BUP files for a DVD Player to play the movie ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    Is it mandatory to have .IFO files and .BUP files for a DVD Player to play the movie ?
    4 years later....the answer is still YES and the answer is easily found by a simple search:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have a movie with me with only .VOB files. It plays on the computer. So I guess I have to generate the .IFO and .BUP files to play in the DVD Player. Is IFOEdit the software to use to generate the .VOB files ?

Also one of the files VTS_01_0.VOB has only sound and no video. Towards the end, it displays a menu and after one second vanishes. So what do I do now ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Is it mandatory to have .IFO files and .BUP files for a DVD Player to play the movie ?
    4 years later....the answer is still YES and the answer is easily found by a simple search:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct
    Thanks for the answer hech54. Its just that I hear contradictory advice all over the net. Some say, that if you don't want the menus and chapters and other navigation options, you can do away with the .IFO and .BUP files even while playing on a DVD Player.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Some say, that if you don't want the menus and chapters and other navigation options, you can do away with the .IFO and .BUP files even while playing on a DVD Player.
    No. Needed to tell your player that there's no menu.

Also one of the files VTS_01_0.VOB has only sound and no video. Towards the end, it displays a menu and after one second vanishes
    It's because it's a menu.

So I guess I have to generate the .IFO and .BUP files to play in the DVD Player. Is IFOEdit the software to use to generate the .VOB files ?
    Beside VTS_01_0.VOB you would have VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB ...

You could use DVDStyler to author a DVD. Drag VTS_01_1.VOB onto it and add the remainder as Chapters by rigth-clicking.

If you don't want a menu but have the DVD play when inserted in the player use:

DVD -> Options -> First Play Commands -> jump title 1;
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post

Also one of the files VTS_01_0.VOB has only sound and no video. Towards the end, it displays a menu and after one second vanishes
    It's because it's a menu.

But then, it plays for around 1 minute and 30 seconds and during this period there is no video. But the soundtrack corresponds to VTS_01_1.VOB for the aforesaid time period and it is only for just one second, the menu flashes and is visible, after that it stops playing. Nobody can even read the menu in such a short time. What is the reason for this and how do I fix it ? Obviously I cannot burn a DVD with this kind of VOB file. I am not sure of the quality of the few IFO and BUP files that I see. They are VTS_01_0.IFO and VIDEO_TS.IFO and their respective BUP files.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    But then, it plays for around 1 minute and 30 seconds and during this period there is no video. But the soundtrack corresponds to VTS_01_1.VOB for the aforesaid time period and it is only for just one second, the menu flashes and is visible, after that it stops playing.
    So what? You're playing the menu as a VOB file and not as a DVD. And you can't play it as a DVD because there are no IFOs. It sounds to me like there's a static menu with associated audio, but it's useless to you.

You can make a DVD from the movie VOBs using IFOEdit or Simple DVD Creator, but unless you know something about menu commands I doubt if you'll be able to figure out how to make a working menu for it using what you already have. You could always create a new working menu using any one of a number of different DVD authoring and menu creation programs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I am not sure of the quality of the few IFO and BUP files that I see
    ??? You wrote:

I have a movie with me with only .VOB files. It plays on the computer. So I guess I have to generate the .IFO and .BUP files to play in the DVD Player
    appearently you also already have the .IFO/.BUP. Sounds to me as if you actually have the whole DVD
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I am not sure of the quality of the few IFO and BUP files that I see
    ??? You wrote:

I have a movie with me with only .VOB files. It plays on the computer. So I guess I have to generate the .IFO and .BUP files to play in the DVD Player
    appearently you also already have the .IFO/.BUP. Sounds to me as if you actually have the whole DVD
    The reason I said that was, I suspected that the .IFO and .BUP files were also corrupted and may be I had to generate new ones.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    But then, it plays for around 1 minute and 30 seconds and during this period there is no video. But the soundtrack corresponds to VTS_01_1.VOB for the aforesaid time period and it is only for just one second, the menu flashes and is visible, after that it stops playing.
    So what? You're playing the menu as a VOB file and not as a DVD. And you can't play it as a DVD because there are no IFOs. It sounds to me like there's a static menu with associated audio, but it's useless to you.
    Yes. You are right. If I click the one and only .IFO file, this static menu is launched with the soundtrack in the background. If I click the play option, the movie plays automatically. I never knew you could play a movie by clicking on the IFO files. I usually click the huge .VOB files in ascending order to play the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I am not sure of the quality of the few IFO and BUP files that I see
    ??? You wrote:

Yes. And I guess it is fine and playing well. Sorry for troubling you guys. But I also learned a lot about how DVDs work, my special thanks to hech54 for the link.

And to manono for information about the softwares.

And to videobruger for pointing me in the right direction. So one last question. Why do I have two .IFO files ? VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_0.IFO and their respective backups ? Clicking on either of the IFOs plays the static menu with the associated soundtrack.
    Quote Quote  
  20. So one last question. Why do I have two .IFO files ? VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_0.IFO and their respective backups ?
    Take one more look at the link provided to you by hech54
    Quote Quote  
  21. By the way, there was no AUDIO_TS folder. Can I create and empty folder by that name so that I match the expectations of the DVD Player ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    Can I create and empty folder by that name so that I match the expectations of the DVD Player ?
    Yes, you could do that. Or you could let ImgBurn create it automatically when you go to burn the DVD to disc.

So, you had the IFOs and BUPs all the time? Coulda fooled me.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    So one last question. Why do I have two .IFO files ? VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_0.IFO and their respective backups ?
    Take one more look at the link provided to you by hech54
    I did take a look, though after typing the question and it says, VIDEO_TS.IFO is for the menu and VTS_01_0.IFO is for the main movie. But both .IFOs lead you to menu only and from there I can do whatever I want, play or go to specific scene selections. So I still do not understand why there are two of them, performing similar roles.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Can I create and empty folder by that name so that I match the expectations of the DVD Player ?
    Yes, you could do that. Or you could let ImgBurn create it automatically when you go to burn the DVD to disc.

So, you had the IFOs and BUPs all the time? Coulda fooled me.
    Thanks manono. Sorry if I mislead you, I thought the IFOs and BUPs were corrupted, and I needed to create new ones.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Coulda fooled me
    Got me . But it's OK
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Random stupid Question I've downloaded a movie from a torrent website and its a .mp4 file, is there a way to get the necessary .bup, .ifo files to burn it to a dvd?

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Anto12107 View Post
    Random stupid Question I've downloaded a movie from a torrent website and its a .mp4 file, is there a way to get the necessary .bup, .ifo files to burn it to a dvd?
    Thanks for any help.
    An MP4 file is very unlikely to have the correct video codec necessary to put straight into DVD-video format. And even if it did have compliant mpeg2 video, you'd still have to author it to that format.

You should use AVStoDVD to convert it. AVStoDVD is free, and simple to use. You're in Ireland? Make sure to set up AVStoDVD to output to PAL standards. You'll have that option when first starting up the program. I also advise using the HC encoder that is included, and use a two pass encode.

Once AVStoDVD is finished making the DVD-video for you, I'd advise burning to a disc with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote