VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

How many percent do I have to put if I want my movie to show on my TV (4:3) in full screen.

I tried 10% and I can see the subtitles on my movie but I cannot see parts of the images vertically.

Video Info:
    640*480
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How long is a piece of string ?

Before you get too excited about overscan, understand that every TV show and DVD you watch also has parts of the image hidden from you. TV shows are in fact shot with this knowledge in mind, and so nothing of importance is placed at the edges of frames.

That said, if your source is fan-subbed anime, then yes, you probably will have a problem as fan-subbers only sub for PC playback, not TV playback.

The problem with your question is that there is no absolute answer. The overscan area varies from TV to TV. On some it is very small (on mine it is 3 - 4%) and on other TVs, as much as 10%. Also, it may no be symmetrical.

Generally, 5% should be a good compromise for most decent quality TVs. However you may have to do a test run to see what suits your TV.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. With CRT TVs overscan varies with the picture content, the temperature, and the age of the TV, and other factors. In fact, this is why they overscan.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As the other answers imply, you are asking for a specific answer to a general question. Televisions do not overscan by precisely equal amounts. The very reason for overscan at all is that manufacturers cannot guarantee the consistency of the amount of scan area, so they conservatively choose sufficient overscan so that no TV goes out the door with any underscan. Consumers will return TVs with the tiniest underscan, but not overscan.

So, you could measure the amount of overscan that your *particular* TV exhibits, and encode with that knowledge in mind. However, you must understand that this choice will not necessarily be appropriate for a different TV. Worse yet, your TV's overscan may vary with local mains voltage, temperature, average screen brightness, and many other factors.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use a DVD-RW or sacrifice a DVD-R and create a DVD using the following image as either the movie or as the menu background. There are others like this and probably better so do a google search but this one will work:

http://hifinet.co.kr/images/uploads/overscan_filtered.jpg
    Quote Quote