VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been used to capturing TV programs that I want to "timeshift" and authoring the mpeg files to the DVD standard then burning them onto a DVD-RW before viewing them and then overwriting with the next capture.

My new Sony Bravia HDTV has a USB input and someone told me it's possible that just putting the .mpeg file onto a USB storage device would allow me to plug it into the side of the TV and play the file.

The manual - if you can call it that - doesn't have much to say on the subject. Anyone know if this is possible? I don't want to chuck money at a USB device that mightn't do the job <g>.
    Datastream
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess it's only jpg image and audio suppport. But a small usb memory stick is almost free....so TEST!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And sometimes USB inputs on TV's are purely for servicing use, and won't be any good for inputting any media at all.
    As far as I know, no TV will play an mpeg directly through it's USB port.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying all sorts of things!

The TV has a HDMI input for a PC - but my PC doesn't have a HDMI socket. I think I will have to go back to burning -RWs!
    Datastream
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Datastream
    The TV has a HDMI input for a PC - but my PC doesn't have a HDMI socket
    DVI to HDMI cable?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there such a thing? I would have thought that, apart from the physical wiring differences the way the data is handled is different. But then I know nothing about these wretched things!
    Datastream
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Datastream
    Is there such a thing?
    Yes. That's what I use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2004300697%201177523169&bo...nd&Order=PRICE
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231

DVI generally doesn't carry audio so you'll need to run audio separately.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks - but what *is* DVI? I don't have anything like that!
    Datastream
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVI = Digital Visual Interface....precursor to HDMI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  10. DVI is the cable interface use by most graphics cards and monitors these days.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see what that would be used for.
    Datastream
    Quote Quote  
  12. Your computer doesn't have a DVI output? It's a laptop then?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Your computer doesn't have a DVI output? It's a laptop then?
    No, it's a HP Pavilion, 3.2GHz.

I think I'm losing the will to live.....
    Datastream
    Quote Quote  
  14. It looks like some of the Pavilion's only have VGA. Does your TV have a VGA input?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use 1280 x 1024, 32 bit colour not VGA.

Thanks for your help, but I was trying to find out if the TV or the DVD home theatre could take mpeg files from a USB stick to avoid having to author my TV recordings onto DVDs and I don't really want to get involved with even more cables and dongles <g>.

And Bill still thinks that comfusers are user friendly!
    Datastream
    Quote Quote  
  16. VGA is also the name of the cable/connector used between the computer and a monitor.

You mentioned your HDTV having HDMI inputs for a computer so I assumed you meant you were considering connecting your computer to the TV to watch videos. That's why I was recommending DVI/HDMI cables and VGA cables.

Bill doesn't make computers or TVs.
    Quote Quote  
  17. HDMI is a hi quality connection for Hi-definition TV. A hdmi connection connects your Sony (other makes do exist) Blu-ray player to your Sony TV. Nothing to do with computers. Email sony, but I would bet that what you want to do, wont work. DVD's have a set standard, whereas mpg files on usb do not.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My query really was what is the purpose of the USB socket in a TV. Not knowing too much about it - and with the manual just saying that it connects to a computer (!) - it's hard to see what it can do. I thought perhaps I could plug in a USB stick and look at jpegs or even avis but it appears not.
    Datastream
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Datastream
    My query really was what is the purpose of the USB socket in a TV. Not knowing too much about it - and with the manual just saying that it connects to a computer (!) - it's hard to see what it can do. I thought perhaps I could plug in a USB stick and look at jpegs or even avis but it appears not.
    My HDTV can display JPG images and play MP3 files from the USB port.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My Sony DVD/HD Recorder has the usb socket - it accepts sticks with jpgs and mp3s on , although the unit accepts divxs , they wont play from the stick , DVDRWs are the only way to play them .
    Quote Quote  
  21. Most USB ports on HDTV's only support JPEG,some can handle MP3 and the rest are only for service(ie firmware update).
    Your Bravia can handle video from a Sony camcorder:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-bravia-kdl-v40xbr1/4505-6482_7-31470102.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Datastream
    The latest Samsung 750 series will play a variety of video formats from a storage device on the USB2 port. Most others access jpg stills and/or mp3 audio only. Maybe the new upper end Sony's will add this feature when the new models are announced later this month.

Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  23. I do not know about Sony Bravia. But I do kow about playing media files off a flash disk on a Chinese No-Brand Standalone player I got for about $30.00.

This player handles VCD, DVD-Video, SVCD, wma, mp3, mp2 , divX (Not old DivX3), Xvid

Disks handled CD-R upto 90min, CDRW, DVD+ - R/RW.

USB Flash disks upto 2GB size. Canot handle any larger Flash disk.

Cannot see any portable HDD
    Quote Quote  
  24. Forgot - it plays jpeg images off any optical disk or from the flash disk
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Hello guys,

I have been using a Sony Bravaria to display video from USB stick. It's the 40HX703 model.

The problem I am having is that I would like to loop the video.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to loop these files????
    Quote Quote  
  26. Should have bought a cheap Sanyo it plays virtually every format from it's USB port. What's the point of having an expensive Sony Bravia when you have to buy third party equipment to play AVI's. It sucks big time.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I used to make SVCDs and DVDs. Now I use the MVIX Ultima (now Mvix Ultio Pro MX-880HD) and can play directly from my PC over my in-home network as well as from USB flash drives, external drives, and external DVD drive. An internal drive can also be installed. So far, plays any format thrown at it. There are some other companies that make similar black boxes, but I don't know anything about them.
    Quote Quote