VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, folks,

I wonder if you could help me out here, I´ve recently installed Virtualdubmod 1.5.1 in hopes I could use it to convert a couple mkv files into avi.

Unfortunately, the avi files I´ve managed to create have no sound.
    Do you know what could be causing this problem and what setting I should use to counter it?

Thank you.

E.
    "They say that if you play the Windows CD backward you can hear satanic speech; well, that´s nothing.
    When you play it forward, it installs windows."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Identify audio codec (MediaInfo). Install appropriate ACM audio decoder. Prepare for A/V sync problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDubMod's support for MKV is rather dated and limited. It could still work, depending on what codecs were used for the video and audio streams, but it's becoming less and less likely as time passes (and more people choose to use VFR video/h264 in their MKVs, etc.) It's better just to use something else than try to convert an MKV with VDubMod, now, and save yourself some headaches.

What codecs were used for the video and audio? Are you trying to keep any subtitle streams?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi, guys,

thank you so much for your posts and comments, I really appreciate it.

I´ve tried Avidemux, but it directed me to a page where I had to purchase a license? I had the idea that it was freeware...

Ai Haibara, I have no idea of what codecs were used. My knowledge on this area is more than a bit lacking. ^_^

At this stage, I´m not really handcuffed to the avi container and wouldn´t mind using to the mkv format.
    But i need the ability to edit this file like I do with my avi ones, cut it, chop a section, save it...

Are there any matroska editing programs out there?
    I´ve tried googling but aside from lots of chatter, nothing really useful came out of it...

Help.
    "They say that if you play the Windows CD backward you can hear satanic speech; well, that´s nothing.
    When you play it forward, it installs windows."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVI Demux is freeware. Direct download of the latest version is here : http://download.videohelp.com/download/avidemux_2.4.2_win32.exe

Matroska is not a format for screwing around with. It isn't editable in any nice way. Along with video and audio it may also contain jpegs and any manner of assorted gumph. It really is designed purely for end viewer delivery, nothing else.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by General Mortars
    I´ve tried Avidemux, but it directed me to a page where I had to purchase a license? I had the idea that it was freeware...
    It is free. If you click on the automatic link here, you can download it.

Even if I Google for it, I can't find any sites asking for money for it. A scam, but how did you find it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is, as AlanHK and guns1inger mentioned. I use it as well. But which page was claiming you needed to purchase a license?

Ai Haibara, I have no idea of what codecs were used. My knowledge on this area is more than a bit lacking. ^_^
    One way to get more information on the MKVs would be to load them into MediaInfo. Some players like VLC also provide more information about a loaded MKV, too.

Yeah, MKV really isn't designed as much for end-user editing. :/
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote