VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the chance of purchasing a few JVC S800U SVHS decks. I have read they do not have an internal TBC. Just wondering if these were worth getting for vhs restoration and conversion to dvd or would it be better to get a 9000 series?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It depends what optional upgrade cards are installed in the units you are considering. The entire point of using a JVC 9000 series for DVD transfers is their built-in TBC and DNR circuits, the actual underlying vcr is nothing special at all. The BR-S800U was a pro editing suite deck, these do not always play back tapes made on consumer VCRs very well because of a mismatch between "pro" and "consumer" head gap widths. You should ask the seller if the units have the TBC *and* DNR upgrade cards installed in the chassis: if they do, and you get a really great price, it could be worth a shot. Without those optional cards, I would pass- they will be no better than a $20 consumer VCR for DVD transfers.

Beautifully built, rugged, pro-looking and damned heavy, yes, optimized for DVD transfers, no.
    Quote Quote