VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I'm fairly new to ffmpeg and am trying to embed (as in permantently hard-encode) some subtitles which I have in both vobsub and srt format into an mp4 (h264/aac) output file (for PS3 use) - source files will usually be VOBs but might occasionally be avi.

I am on Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) and don't wish to use Windows-only tools for this (I'm trying to move across from dual-booting). I know how to do this in Avidemux, but since I do most of my encoding using ffmpeg and shell scripts, I want to do it with that.

Whilst I massively appreciate the hard work of everyone who wrote the FFMPEG documentation, a lot of it is very brief and somewhat cryptic. As a general question, is there an in-depth set of documentation anywhere, that explains usage and syntax in full with examples?

Specifically, can anyone tell me how to bake the subtitle files into the video stream during my ffmpeg encoding?

Many thanks in advance for all constructive replies.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, I forgot - I can't seem to find any documentation of the ffmpeg -coder parameter. I appear to need to use -coder 1 to get any of my h264/aac encodes to work on a PSP, does anyone know why?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Estarriol
    I'm fairly new to ffmpeg and am trying to embed (as in permantently hard-encode) some subtitles which I have in both
    you can't hardcode subs in ffmpeg,
    use mencoder.
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html
    or both mplayer and mencoder for vobsubs.

Whilst I massively appreciate the hard work of everyone who wrote the FFMPEG documentation, a lot of it is very brief and somewhat cryptic. As a general question, is there an in-depth set of documentation anywhere, that explains usage and syntax in full with examples?
    no
    http://www.itbroadcastanddigitalcinema.com/ffmpeg_howto.html#Generic_Syntax

I appear to need to use -coder 1 to get any of my h264/aac encodes to work on a PSP, does anyone know why?
    cabac

gl.
    tripp
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the swift reply, tripp. I'll take a look at mencoder - I've been aware of it but trying to master the ffmpeg command line first.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello,
    I'm trying to use Ffmpeg in C++.
    I've made a soft which adds audio and video frames into an AVI file and synchronize them.
    That works.
    But i'd like to include some subtitles into this avi file :

I've got a char* buffer with my subtitle text.
    I wanna use the following function
    int avcodec_encode_subtitle(AVCodecContext *avctx,
    uint8_t *buf,
    int buf_size,
    const AVSubtitle *sub);

But it returns a negative value, i can't find the problem.
    Do you know how to initialize the AVSubtitle before calling this function ?
    Please can you help me to solve it ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote