VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like the subject states I want to convert a 1080i mpeg4 .trp file to a 720p h264 mkv. It seems most of the guides I've read all deal with people trying to convert stuff into dvd (yuck). The rest seem to deal with HD MPEG2 streams. Are there tools capable of handling MPEG4 streams? If there are could someone please enlighten me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try Xvid4psp. You will be taking a quality hit, as you will also be converting interlaced video to progressive video, reducing the resolution and finally re-encoding. Keep this in mind when you set your expectations.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion but that's not really the route I wanted to take. I've been messing around trying to open up the .trp with a few programs. DGIndex doesn't understand it so I tried TsRemux which recognizes it as an AVC stream so I also tried DGAIndex which also seemed to understand the file AVC Video/AC3 Audio. Now I'm not sure if I can even use MeGUI to encode it into a 720p x264 but if I can, which of the 2 previous programs would I use to separate the video/audio stream from each other (I assume that is needed) and have something I can work with in MeGUI?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If TsRemux recognizes it ,than chances are tsmuxerGui will also,so demux with tsmuxer...I don't believe TsRemux, demuxes to separate video and audio files only to elementary stream.....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tsmuxer doesn't mention support for AVC and doesn't recognize the .trp. Since I know DGAIndex understands the file and after I demux the .trp I'm left ac3 audio, video with a .avc extension, and .dga file. How would I take these and input them into MeGUI? It accepts the audio no problem but when I go into the AVS Script Editior I cant load the .avc file containing the video stream.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You mention that it's a MPEG4 stream, but MPEG4 could mean about 20 different things including DivX, XviD, AAC, x.264. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpeg4)

I suggest you yun mediainfo on your .trp and/or your .avc file and find out what it really is.

If you already have an AVC video stream, you don't have to re-encode anything. In fact, even if it's XviD or DivX MPEG4, you don't have to re-encode anything. Just use mkvmergegui and input your video stream and ac3 audio. This way you lose no quality.

If you wanted to re-encode it for some reason, just manually create an .avs script with DirectShowSource() to input into MeGUI
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo only recognizes it as a MPEG-TS. This stream was captured off Dish HD's MPEG4 stream so its not using any sort of xvid/divx codec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .trp-files first should be remuxed using TsRemux! These remuxed clips can be opened using Avisynth e.g. with the directsource-file-open method of VirtualDubMod provided a compatible AVC/H.264-decoder is installed and then reencoded e.g. with Xvid or x264 depending on your choice. Besides TsRemux there are hardly any other video prorams which are able to handle .trp-files as they usually do not contain PMT-information required by most programs and added by TsRemux.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, well if i use TsRemux which output format should I be selecting? M2TS or TS? and should I be demuxing the ac3 stream from the avc stream while I'm at it? If so which file extension should the resulting 2 files use? Sorry for all the questions but this is my first go at trying to re-encode my HD recordings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Remuxing should be done into the ts(188 bytes)-format. I would not demux the streams, as if the entire clip (video and audio) are opened simultaneously the synchronization of video and audio streams is done during demuxing and decoding so that both stream should be synched.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok that makes sense. How can I join multiple trp's into one and then remux into ts. It seems TsRemux only allows me to select 1 file at a time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is easy! Sopose your video files are called as follows:
    abcd.trp
    abcd.001
    abcd.002
    abcd.003

Use Windows Explorer and enter the directory where your video files are located. Within this directory with the text editor produce the following file
    called "copy.bat" with the following text content:
    copy /b "abcd.trp"+"abcd.001"+"abcd.002"+"abcd.003" D:\Clip.ts

Here I assume that you have a drive "D:" which is NTFS-formatted so that files larger than 4GB can be created.

This file "Clip.ts" now contains the binary verbatim copy of the four above files appended after each other bianry without a gap.

This file you then should remux using Tsremux.
    It also will show you what kind of stream are included with this file.

Schmendrick
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok that worked perfectly. Now that I have the muxing figured out I still don't know what kind of tool will be able to re-encode this stream. Here is a sample of what I'm dealing with http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I7YUJMV0.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well your clip is a typical recording now the newer HDTV-receivers record. The problem is that it does not contain PAT/PMT-streams. If you remux this .trp clip with Tsremux these missing streams are added so that the produced .ts-clip now can be properly played if you have ffdshow installed together with the Haali-renderer. Tsremux is also able to demux the streams into the avc/h.264-video stream and ac3-audio stream. Mediainfo can be used to determine the video/audio delay which after reencoding the video stream into a different resolution using e.g. MeGui, VirtualDubMod etc. together with Avisynth is required to properly synchronously remux the video and audio streams.

Schmendrick
    Quote Quote