VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The RCA RTD120 DVDPLAYER...stopped functioning ...it reads "no disk" when i load a dvd to watch ...each and everytime? i cleaned ...dont know what else to do...HELP.
    I never knew a dvd player locks...and i tried everything...i need guidance ..if there is a code i will need to acquire.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does it recognize CDs? If it does, it could be a sign that the DVD laser is dying or dead.

A dirty lens can keep the player from recognizing discs, too. If you're confident in your ability to take apart the player and put it back together, you can try taking the player apart (if you're lucky, you'll only need to take the top off), just enough to where you can get at the laser lens, then carefully clean that with a cotton swab dipped in cleaning solution. Not sure if I'd recommend rubbing/isopropyl alcohol for that; someone who knows better than me can say if they're okay for use when cleaning a laser lens or not.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use 99% isopropyl alcohol. Less water added and it evaporates faster. Q-tips are OK, just damp, not dripping. Check to make sure no 'fur' off the Q-tip stays in there. The foam Q-tips are a better choice.

That said, there are quite a few other things that can cause that error, many not easily fixed. As mentioned, if a CD plays, your DVD laser may be dying. If cleaning doesn't help and it won't play either CDs or DVDs, burned or commercial, maybe time for a replacement player.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Unplug it from wall & plug it back in to reset it. They are cheap these days too, you could just buy a new one.

For cleaning, by far the best is pure alcohol, called denatured alcohol from Ace, Home Depot, etc, about $4 qt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought Isopropyl promoted rust?
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    99% isopropyl is 1% water. It evaporates very quickly. Denatured is probably a better choice, but be careful around some plastics. The plastics in a DVD mechanism will be no problem, but it may remove some furniture finishes if spilled. It's a bit harder to find than isopropyl at times also.

Alcohol is fairly effective for removing grease or smoke residue. For just dust a cleaning disc or just a dry Q-tip is usually sufficient. When the DVD disc spins, it blows most loose dust off the lens and the disc.

If you keep the tray closed as much as possible and eliminate smoke and grease, there's not really any reason to clean the lens. Pet hair is another problem. For that, just keep the PC up off the floor. This also applies to most household dust.

If you have that much dust in the DVD burner, I would also consider cleaning the interior of the PC. And vacuuming the room the PC is in helps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Denatured alcohol is ethanol. Same stuff you put in your car.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you ....it's truly time for a new DVD PLAYER...Thanks for all the support!!!
    I never knew a dvd player locks...and i tried everything...i need guidance ..if there is a code i will need to acquire.
    Quote Quote