VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

First post here.

Wasn't *quite* sure where to ask this question as it's a mix of a few things.

Basically I have a DVD-9 image of a film, it's an AVCHD ISO file which can be burnt with ImgBurn.
    These files (to my knowledge) are created by taking an MKV file, and converting it in such a way that can be burnt onto DVD5/9, using a blu-ray disc style structure so that blu-ray players will play them. (basically a roundabout way of getting blu-ray players to play mkv files?)

I don't have any DVD9 discs, and since this was created originally from an MKV file, I wondered if it's possible to extract a video file from this ISO, so I can split it, and burn onto 2x DVD5?

Burning the ISO file is no option to me, as I have no DVD9s.

Any help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It won't be playable on a blu-ray player unless you re-author the blu-ray structure.

You can't play it on a DVD player at all (not DVD spec)

So are you doing this just to archive it? (ie. only playable on PC)? If so, just split it using winrar, winzip, hjsplit or 7-zip. and burn on to 2x DVD5. This won't be playable either, until you unzip/unrar it
    Quote Quote  
  3. This should be possible, however, I've never done this process myself.

Retail Blu-ray movies are encoded into the mkv container or directly reauthored to BD, sized for DVD(-iso) (h.264 and ac3/dts/flac/etc). They're encoded so hardware (standalones/video cards) can decode them (L4.1/DXVA).

I've personally had trouble mounting Blu-ray ISOs. I use IsoBuster to extract the M2TS file.

You might be able to do everything you need to do with TSMUXER. It can extract the a/v streams, SPLIT the file, and remux into the TS or M2TS container (or even make a BD out of it, though I haven't personally tried this).

Now if you want to use the MKV container, you'll need MKVTOOLNIX/MKVMERGE. This tool can mux the a/v streams demuxed from TSMUXER. This tool can also do splitting if you want to do it at this stage.

Depending on what resulting file you want, you can save time/space with just using TSMUXER. I also don't know which is better at splitting.

Edit: Also, depending on what you want, you might be playing with DTS-HD audio, which PCs have trouble playing, unless I've missed something. TSMUXER (as well as EAC3TO) can extract the DTS core stream, which is PC-friendly. Also, the latest build (not release) of MKVTOOLNIX/MKVMERGE doesn't complain about muxing DTS-HD audio, if you want to use MKV and find some way for codecs to properly decode it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ejv:

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like great advice particularly the latter part regarding splitting the file using TSMUXER or MKVERGE. I've had experience with these software in the past and managed to split with no problems.

However, using IsoBuster, I opened the iso file, and hit extract on the M2TS file, but it just won't extract :S
    most confusing, there is a popup window for a brief time (less than half a second) as if the file is extracting, but checking the destination dir, there is simply nothing.

I tried using MagicISO for this also, which just failed to open the ISO.

Anyone know of any other programs to open this ISO?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Give a try to WinRAR.
    However it does appear something wrong on your system is
    preventing the applications from dealing with the contents of the .ISO files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Another program that works well with ISO's is poweriso

If this was a blu-ray/hd-dvd rip, it's usually ripped with anydvd then re-encoded to a dvd9 sized backup using h.264 into an .mkv container. Is this what you have? If it's to be playable on a blu-ray player, it needs the blu-ray structure.

You mentioned blu-ray disk structure - how do you know this? do you have BDMV, m2ts, etc...? This means you were able to open the file (ISO) at one point. I guess my question is how do you know what you have if you can't open it?

Have you been able to playback this file on your PC? Also, if you got this from "somewhere" there is the possibility that it's a fake file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip about winrar, unfortunately, it didn't work, opening the ISO in winrar , winrar thinks its empty.

- Using MagicISO 5.3, I open the ISO, and get the error "Fail to read the ISO file".

- Using UltraISO 7.5.6, I open the ISO, it opens, but there appears to be no contents. (like with winrar). (however it does at least recognise the title of the ISO, (the film title))

- Using ISOBusterPro 2.3, I open the ISO, I see UDF NEW, BDMV and all the subfolders of a BD movie. I go into the STREAM folder, select the M2TS file. Right-click, extract, but all that happens is you see a dialog box for less than half a second and no further activity takes place.

It's bizarre.

Just to confirm, I have tried this with all 4 of the AVCHD isos I have sitting on my computer which all came from a reputable source (trust me). And none of them are working.

Frustrating!

-just to re-summarise, basically I just want to extract the M2TS file and then split it so I can burn it do DVD5s.
    Quote Quote  
  8. try poweriso (4.1 is the latest now)

what happens when you mount it with daemon/alcohol120 or other disc emulator image software?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Argh! It seems my version of ISOBuster was up the shoot! Bloody thing!
    I have an older version and am extracting the M2TS file now!

bloodyhell, sorry for all the hassle, and thanks for the help all.

* just for the record, when I mount any of these ISOs in Alcohol they mount ok, but when you browse to them with windows explorer windows just tells me it cannot read the CD/disc/iso/drive.

These are the most awkward ISOs I've ever come across!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Only now I see...
    UDF version 2.something, and you have not yet installed the required drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Copy that to TVIX: M4100SH or M6500A from DVICO - High Definition/Network Media Player
    It will play, without headache
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only now I see...
    UDF version 2.something, and you have not yet installed the required drivers.
    I second that !

This is something that has FINALLY been solved for me. At first I couldnn't figure out what for the life of me was going wrong....

BUT...

After installing the UDF READER (https://www.videohelp.com/tools/UDF_Reader)...

....I was able to MOUNT, Play (and do all sorts of funky stuff) with Blu-ray (and other) UDF 2.x images !

So for ANYONE still using Windows XP trying to mount a virtual (or play an actual) UDF 2.x disc install this, and (probably) your problems will be over (mine were at least).

* note however that, even without UDF READER installed, PowerISO (v 4.7) can open/extract UDF images without the need to register. Something that didn't work for me (even) with (the "registered") ISO Buster...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    open it with winrar, open the largest file, the one your looking for should be in the file "streaming"
    hoped this helped
    Quote Quote