VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi guys

im having a problem with my capture card which is the dazzle dvd recorder.

im trying to transfer some old video tape on to my computer so i can edit them and burn them on to dvd's

ok, so on the back of my VCR there is red and white RCA holes, but there is no yellow one, so in the preview window i can hear the sound comming through my speakers but there is no video because theres nowhere to plug the yellow video rca plug.

so next i tried pluging in one of thoses scart to RCA box things that you get with the ps2, i pluged it into the back of my VCR, and still nothing shows on the screen and also i couldnt hear any audio comming though this time either.

i am running windows vista and i have installed the software and downloaded and installed the vista patch, and my computer has all the right specs as well.

my VCR doesnt have s video holes so i cant use that

can any of you please help me, is there any other method i could use with out going and buying a new VCR with a yellow RCA hole?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Man, your VCR must be ancient! Or very cheap.

With only 2 RCA connectors, one of the colors will be for video and one will be for audio. It will be marked on the VCR so just look at what the labels say. Don't be hung up on having to find a "yellow" connector. You have audio, you just didn't realize it.

Can't help you with SCART. That's an evil European invention that fortunately most of the rest of the world was spared. Avoid SCART if at all possible.

Vista is NOT helping you, but as I refuse to run it, I can offer no Vista specific advice, but your real problem is that you didn't understand that you have one audio connector and one video connector and not 2 audio connectors with this VCR. Since you only have 1 audio output, your sound will almost certainly be mono and you may need to get what is called a Y-adapter to convert the mono sound into 2 output RCA connectors for your Dazzle card to connect to. The sound will still be mono, but it will be in both channels and sound normal whereas if you just connect one Dazzle input to the audio output of the VCR, you'll get silence in one channel and sound in the other probably. We can buy such adapters at places like Radio Shack in the USA. If you have this store in the UK, they can help you to get the right connector.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the reply jman

i tried what you said and it did not work i pluged the yellow connecter into both holes and nothing showed up on screen

i looked at the back of my VCR and the 2 RCA holes are labed AUDIO OUT one is labled with an 'L' and the other with a 'R' im guessing this means left and right, so that would mean that it isnt mono? i still dont understand why the audio holes are there and they didnt make a yellow video hole

at the back of my VCR there are 2 ariel holes, those 2 RCA holes (red and white) and 1 scart hole, is there any way i can link it up??

EDIT: ive just found this: http://www.ise.eu.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=118

i think it's what i need.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how do you usually hook it up to your tv?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    how do you usually hook it up to your tv?
    it connects to my tv through the ariels, one goes into my sky box the other into the TV
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Can't help you with SCART. That's an evil European invention that fortunately most of the rest of the world was spared. Avoid SCART if at all possible.
    Since he is in the UK....and SCART carries MUCH more color information
    than a simple cinch/RCA connection....how or why would he avoid Scart?
    And I'm sure the Aussies and many other PAL nations would be more than happy
    to tell you where to stick your RCA connector since they too use Scart.
    Quote Quote