VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok I am thinking about buying this

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-6FT-DUAL-TO-DVI-D-M-VIDEO-CABLE-HDTV-PLASMA-DVD_W0QQitemZ18025...QQcmdZViewItem

I was wondering if it supports HDTV? Like if i were to download a .mkv HD file would i be able to view it on my HDTV in full HD? Seems easy enough i hope this is true

thanks!

Also my computer does not have HDMI im pretty certain of that
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your TV supports HD, and your computer has a DVI out and your TV has a DVI in, then this would work.
    But if your computer has regular video out and your TV has same for video in (15 pin pc type) then a regular computer video cable would work also. Giving you any range of resolution suported by both the TV and the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If your computer has DVI out and your TV has DVI in a DVI cable like that will work. Be sure there is a resolution and refresh rate that both your computer and TV support. You will also need to run audio cables since DVI doesn't carry audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVI is a parallel uncompressed path to the TV. The TV knows nothing about a *.mkv HD file. The computer and display card need to deal with decompression.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One more question. if I were to buy a dvi splitter would i be able to use the computer and the TV simultaneously?
    Quote Quote  
  6. A believe a DVI splitter will work only if both displays support the same resolution and refresh rate. Many graphics cards have two independent outputs that can be configured as one big desktop, two independent desktops, or a cloned desktop (same on both).

On my HT system I have an HDTV running on one DVI output at 1920x1080 60 Hz and a monitor running on the other DVI output at 1680x1050 60 Hz. They graphics card is in clone mode so the smaller monitor pans over the larger desktop, following the mouse.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by superdud1400
    One more question. if I were to buy a dvi splitter would i be able to use the computer and the TV simultaneously?
    It would be much easier for us to answer your question if you ID your display card and TV model numbers. We are just guessing what you have and what you are trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok when i plug in the dvi to dvi it works but its "jumpy" how do i fix that?

Here is my tv model and my card.

Mitsubishi - not sure about model #

Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce MX 440
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by superdud1400
    Ok when i plug in the dvi to dvi it works but its "jumpy" how do i fix that?

Here is my tv model and my card.

Mitsubishi - not sure about model #

Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce MX 440
    Look on the back of the TV to find the model number. The key here is to find what resolutions the Mitsubishi supports. What resolution have you been feeding it?

NVIDIA GeForce MX 440 is an older card with limited MPeg2 decoding support and very poor deinterlace performance. What is your CPU? What kinds of *mkv files are you trying to play? Are you able to decode these files to the computer monitor?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i fixed the "Jumpy" thing I just switched the res. on the computer to 800x600 which makes the font and stuff terrible but i wanted to use it for just watching HD videos anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Go back to whatever resolution you were using and enable video overlay. Then use a media player that supports video overlay -- which is most of them. Except Quicktime Player. That should speed up video processing and smooth out the playback.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Go back to whatever resolution you were using and enable video overlay. Then use a media player that supports video overlay -- which is most of them. Except Quicktime Player. That should speed up video processing and smooth out the playback.
    I have video overlay enabled?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Are you saying you do have video overlay enabled? Or are you asking how to enable it?

Without video overlay the CPU has to convert the video from YV12 to RGB and scale it (if you're running full screen) to the desktop size. If you don't have a fast CPU and fast video bus this is a lot of work for the CPU. The player will end up skipping frames to keep up with the frame rate. The fact that lowering the desktop resolution fixed your jumpy playback indicates this is the problem you were having.

With video overlay enabled the graphic's card's hardware YUV to RGB converter and scaler are used. Skipping frames is much less likely.
    Quote Quote