VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I'm not sure what my issue is with TVERSITY.

I FINALLY got my dlink ethernet switch to work with my ps3 and xbox 360. I can now use the Media Center function fully on my xbox 360 and my Vista Premium pc.

HOWEVER after I got it working on both the ps3 and xbox 360 last night I shut down the game consoles and the pc for the night. This morning I could not use it on the ps3 and apparently the 360 either.

I did restart the sharing on the tversity as recommended for tversity and the ps3. It has not worked. I did verify that my vista premium pc is set to private and sharing is turned on for windows media player and the zune software. The media center function worked again for a short time and then did not work a little later.

I am not sure what is going on. FYI I don't have an active internet signal on the pc for the moment. I have a usb wireless adapter but I am having difficulty reconnecting to my wireless network. I am not sure if this related. However last night when I was connected via tversity and the ethernet switch worked WITHOUT a wireless internet signal.

EDIT - please note TVERSITY does not breakup during playback. I am referring to keeping the connection valid after shutdown without going through a million setup screens.

I am SO close to this that it is driving me nuts. I love the functionality of it but I can't get it to stay on long enough. Turning off the computer should not cause this much problem in reestablishing the tversity link up and media center connection.

Any advice is welcome. I am SO CLOSE!!!!

EDIT 2 - MY MEDIA CENTER CONNECTION HELD! I can still use my xbox 360 as a media center extender without setting it up again. At least that much is good. The ps3 still can't reconnect.

The wierd thing for my xbox 360 is that in the video menu in the dashboard it shows TVERSITY as the pc selection. HOWEVER it doesn't let me connect. It says a firewall may be blocking my connection. But I do have tversity listed in my firewall exception list. When I go through the wired media connection test in the xbox menu system it shows a wired connection but the ip acquisition failed. THat is where my problem lies.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BUMP!

Anyone have ideas? By the way the THIRD time I tried to run MEDIA CENTER through the xbox 360 over the ethernet switch nothing happened. I got a stable "wired" connection in the network diagonostic on the 360 but it went back to "failed" on the ip address acquisition stage. Remember currently I have no net signal to the vista pc in that room. It did say a firewall may be preventing a connection.

I am going to try again and totally disable the windows firewall. I will make sure my wireless net adapter is disconnected even though it isn't acquring a connection to my router. When that is disconnected my pc will be truly "land locked" with no intruder possiblity. THen I'll try my wired connection again.

Hopefully this will do the trick. The only other option I can see is getting one of those plug in adapters that sends a phone jack signal to another plug so I can plug in the dsl modem in that room.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem. I started using TVERSITY a few months ago because it would allow playing H264 files on my PS3. It did that fine but I finally gave up because of the problems I had with connection stability. I switched back to Windows Media Player as the server and it's rock solid except I can't play H264 files through it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So how exactly do you get the ps3 to recognize wmp as a server?

I can go into library and sharing and see my xbox 360. I can't see the ps3.

Do you have a link on how to do it for a ps3?

Also are you using an active router with a net signal? I was able to do that but I can't leave that configuration as it is impractical (a 50 foot phone cord doesn't do well).

EDIT - I'm using a wired ethernet switch that does not have an internet feed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I assume that you are using WMP 11. Click on the Library tab and click on Media Sharing and check the "Share My Media" box. Since you are using Vista, make sure that Media Sharing in on in the Network and Sharing Center. I use a wired Ethernet connection through a DLink router. When I do a search for media server function on my PS3, it sees the WMP server. I don't attempt to see the PS3 from WMP; the PS3 sees it.

Here is a link to more info at Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/sharing.mspx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks scdvd. I'll keep checking it out.

Is there any chance you can create a "fake" dns server without an internet signal?

EDIT - I am currently bidding on one of those phone jack extension units. The type that plug into the wall and send out a phone jack to another power unit. If I can get one for around 20.00 or so plus shipping I am going to try that.

With that I will be able to have a phone jack in the room with my game consoles and pc. I know for a fact I can get the ps3 networked when I had a long long extension cord and my dsl modem and router in the same room with a net connection. I am assuming the same will be true with the xbox 360, it was in for repairs during that testing phase.

EDIT 2 - I just bought one on ebay. I was being outbid on the one I was looking at. I found another for 20.00 buy it now and it turned out to be the same seller. So hopefully they can ship it today or tomorrow. Canada's big holiday was Monday so they should have regular hours today. I hope this works. Then all I will need is to use my usb wifi adapter on my xp machine in the other room instead of the other way around. That will be because my dsl modem and router will be moved to my vista pc directly instead of the other way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Slightly off-topic, but I notice Winamp also has a feature that's supposed to be able to stream to a 360, PS3, etc, called "Winamp Remote." (http://www.winamp.com/extras/remote ) Has anyone used this, and can tell if it works any better/worse than TVersity, or other such solutions?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion ai haibara. I'll check it out and let you know. Does it have video function also?

Edit - for the WII and PS3 it is a browser function only in conjuction with ORB. It appears to be a regular tversity like connection for the 360. I'll check it out and pass on what I learn.

EDIT 2 - well the winamp deal needs a net connection to get the remote sharing to work so I was unable to get it going since I don't have a current active net signal on that pc.

I DID get my MEDIA CENTER going again on the 360!!!!

Man that took for ever. One thing I read online was that you can't have zune sharing and wmp sharing on at the same time since it can only connect one at a time. I tried disabling zune but that didn't work. I think I ended up disabling sharing on the wmp AND zune. I finally got the Media Center recognized. I'm not entirely sure what the final trick was. I've been changing so many settings I couldn't tell you for sure.

Right now I believe I have the sharing on both the zune and wmp turned off. I do like that the media center can establish a wired connection WITHOUT an internet signal. It just shouldn't be this hard to do that. My only concern is that I turned off the windows firewall and the norton firewall protections. I did shut down the computer tonight. That was when I lost my connection the last time I got it working. Whatever settings I made were lost on the next power on. I'm hoping that won't be the case now. I will leave the firewall turned off for the time being since I don't have a net connection on the pc at the moment.

EDIT 3 - I was able to keep my MEDIA CENTER connection going after shutting down both the 360 and the vista pc. I believe my problem was having sharing on the wmp and zune software at the same time. I turned off both if I remember right. Though I believe you still need to keep the network connection set to PRIVATE in order to have any connection at all.
    Quote Quote