VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a newbie so I thought I'd best start here.

I want to convert some of my old video tapes to DVD. There is a lot of information about but I do need a specific function. My tapes contain live band concert footage so I want the ability to create a seperate chapter for each song without having to record each one seperately.

Not sure if I have explained that very well...... so as an example

My tape contains a 90 minute live concert with a total of 18 songs. I want to copy this to DVD and have the abilitty to go straight to any particular song through a menu. Some of my other tapes contain about 40 video singles andI would like to do the same with these. I do not mind watching the video play and then pressing buttons at the appropriate time if that is what is needed to mark a chapter.

Thanks - apologies if this is a stupid question
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The easiest way is to copy to a DVR in Video Mode SP, the quality is as good as the original.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Get a DVD recorder that has a hard drive. If a new one costs too much, you can get refurbed ones at many sites, including Panasonic and Sony's own website stores (I have 5 DVD recorders, all are refurbs and they all came with factory warranties). A 90-minute tape can be recorded with excellent quality with Sony, Toshiba, or Pioneer pre-set 90-minute record speeds. Or Philips still makes a decent DVD recorder with hard drive sold at http://www.bhphotovideo.com, but none of them are cheap.

Record your tape into the recorder's hard drive. The recorder should have edit functions that let you create chapters and menus. Then transfer the tape back to disc.

-or-

Record your tape directly to DVD disc on a DVD recorder. Use edit and authoring software to transfer the recording to your PC, make your menus, etc., and burn to DVD disc. There's lots of free software on the 'net for doing all this on your PC, but it takes forever to learn.

Some highly favored pre-packaged software that works better than over-price discount store junk can be had from TMPGEnc at good prices, and they often have special offers on their MPG editors and DVD authors. See http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/index.html (many pro's use their stuff, and they are highly recommended by many in this forum).
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 02:43.
    Quote Quote